XANA

In the realm of the Saint, the name of Ixqidar echoes with significance. Not merely for its patronage to the Harrund or the precious diamonds and silk it trades—treasures highly sought after even by those professing Solara's faith. But Ixqidar's true distinction lies in its centuries-old role as a neutral haven, a place where foes could negotiate despite the Carinali's stern disapproval. Ixqidar stands as a testament to the power of wealth, proving that gold can quell even the deepest enmities.

For the Vor del Leyen, particularly their leader Úrsula, Ixqidar was more than a diplomatic stage; it was a wellspring of secrets. In a world where discretion reigns, timely knowledge could outweigh the deadliest weapon in Úrsula's arsenal. Yet, within her carriage, the five men who held her bank's reins harbored doubts. They questioned whether Úrsula's grand plan to reclaim their wealth would bear fruit or if it was merely a costly caprice.

The Bank of the Saint Iron, established at Solara's Hill of Prayers during the first Vicar's time, began as a modest vault for the devout founders of the cardinal council and the Vicar, Solara's eternal sovereign. Three Great Crusades solidified the central authority, crowning the first Vicar, Peter, with the triregnum in a square that would evolve into the Plaza of the Saint and the Cathedral of the Celestial Throne. The Fourth Crusade, led by Peter, dispatched apostles across the globe to spread the Saint's teachings and expand the Kingdom's reach. This campaign carved the Kingdom's borders, halted only by the Via Dolorosa's frigid peaks and the scorching sands beyond Autorium.

It was during this final crusade that the Bank of the Saint Iron found its purpose, channeling sacred gold to fund mercenaries and forge one of Eurica's earliest professional armies. The spoils of war elevated Mateus Vor del Leyen, the first of his name, to succeed Peter as the Celestial Throne's guardian.

With the triregnum swiftly in hand, Mateus secured for his lineage an enduring mandate to act not just as financiers but as a sovereign military order, commanding an independent Army sanctioned by the Kingdom. Generations of the Saint Iron's stewards, known as the Black Riders, pursued not only the return on their gold but also waged distant, often fruitless wars, drawn by the allure of the Great Vilo's bountiful reservoirs.

The Kingdom's noble houses, particularly the Harrund and Aryund, harbored deep-seated mistrust towards the Vor del Leyen. Their skepticism stemmed not from the gold amassed within the vaults—both families were wealthy beyond measure—but from the contentious privilege that allowed the Bank of the Saint Iron to wield force against its adversaries. A century past bore witness to a violent clash: Úrsula's forebear, Lucas, and Henrietta, matriarch of the Harrund, vied over a staggering debt. Lucas's aggressive bid for repayment led to a siege on the Harrund estate. Yet, Henrietta returned from across the Gloomy Sea with an army granted by Ixqidar's shogun, turning the tides of fate against the Vor del Leyen.

The Bank faced dire straits as the debt became irrecoverable, spiraling into financial turmoil. The withdrawal of a substantial investment by Iranís Aryund, incensed by Úrsula's defiance before the cardinal council, further drained the coffers. Bereft of resources, burdened by the costly wars of yore, and sustaining a voracious Black Riders' fleet, Úrsula's options dwindled. Unwilling to be the last of her name to helm the Bank, she faced a grim reality: aligning with the despised Harrund was unthinkable, and undermining the Kingdom's new affluent, Vicur Kurp, seemed an insurmountable feat.

Yet, a serendipitous message borne by a bird offered Úrsula a glimmer of hope: a secret hidden within Ixqidar, dark enough to restore the Bank's fortunes. As she set sail across the Gloomy Sea, the specifics of her quest remained veiled, the enigma of Iranís Aryund's secret locked within the city's heart.

Amidst the journey, Úrsula's resolve was questioned. —Are we certain of our path?— inquired Firnan, his trepidation palpable amidst the enchanted woods rumored to house ravenous beasts. Úrsula's retort was swift, dismissing her brother's fears, open to alternatives that could replenish their wealth.