Chapter 3

Chapter Playlist:
Save Me by My Darkest Days
Praying for Rain by Raelynn
Break Me Down by Alter Bridge
homecoming queen? by Kelsea Ballerini

X.x

 "God dammit!" Renae cursed to anyone that could hear her; any Saint and force of nature that was listening.

"Nae!" Kim called from DJ's car across the little parking lot, "Dee's got cables back at his house, don't worry about it!" But she as worrying about it. On top of everything else, now her car wouldn't start. Figures the battery would give out now, on top of all this other hell that was coming down on her. Don't cry , don't cry. Thankful that her friends couldn't see her tears through the rain, she was actually glad it was still coming down out there. The storm itself had ceased; now it was just heavy rain.

Slamming the hood down, Renae hit the automatic lock on her keychain and jogged over to where DJ's Jeep was parked. At least the rain was mingling with the salty liquid coming from her eyes. DJ and Kim sat up front while Tony and Renae were in the back, and they pulled away from the brightly lit parking lot.

"You sure you don't mind, Dee?" Renae asked, pretending the tears on her face were just the rain. Not like anyone could see them in the dark of the car. Not like Tony, who was smashed after three of those beers, was even in a state where he cared. Her relationship with him had always been weird, though. There would be nights where he texted her pretty late, telling her he was alone and horny. Flirting hardcore with her. When she herself had been lonely, she admitted to flirting back, but, she had never felt right about his offer. If he couldn't bear to be sympathetic and care in a moment like this, when she needed her friends, then why did he deserve her body? Maybe she was just too oversensitive; she thought too much about these things, but she couldn't help but feel that if he was right for her, then he would care all the time, and not just when he felt like it.

"Not at all, right down the road, we'll grab the cables and-"

"WOOOOOOOOO!" Came a shrill from right next to Renae. Tony had rolled the window down and leaned halfway out. He was shouting like a loon, much to the annoyance of everyone in the car.

"Tony, really?" Kim commented.

"C'mon man," from DJ, "Just get your dumbass neck back in the car."

"I'M THE FUCKING KIIIIIIING!"

"Tony, shut the fuck up," Renae pinched the bridge of her nose between two fingers. She wanted so badly to push him out the window, if only he would shut up. Just as she looked up, she saw movement in the road ahead, the lights from the car catching on a figure walking. Renae felt her body give an electric start when she realized it was Tommy Hewitt.

Tommy.

"Whoa dude," DJ startled, talking to himself as they whizzed by him walking on the opposite side of the road, going the other direction. "Little wet to be out for a walk."

"Dee, stop the car," Renae said without thinking anything through. "Hold up."

"What?" He gently stepped on the brakes even as he questioned her.

"Nae, what're you doing?" Kim asked as Renae unbuckled her seatbelt.

"Why are we stoppin'?" Tony slurred, pulling himself back into the car. They all ignored him.

"That's Tommy," Renae answered Kim, opening her door and pulling up her hood. "Hold on just one second, guys."

"Tommy Hewitt?" Kim squealed as Renae jumped out into the heavy rain. There was only one Tommy in town, and most knew him in fear. She could tell by the sound of Kim's voice that she only knew to be afraid of him. Just like everyone else in this town. Everyone except Renae.