chapter one

That fateful day, the skies were clear, showing no indication of the events that were bound to happen. Fuji, a photography student at that time, was leisurely watching a movie at home since he just finished presenting earlier his final university project.

Just as he was about to reach the climax of the movie, the phone rang. Fuji excitedly answered it upon seeing the caller ID, but little did he know that that conversation would end with a sentence that he never wanted to hear.

"Shuusuke, I think we should end this."

A brown-haired man sighed for the nth time as he sat at the bar of a five-star hotel, absentmindedly swirling his glass of whiskey. 'It would've been our fourth anniversary today,' he thought wistfully.

Fuji, not typically one to drink alone, made an exception tonight. The anniversary date had stirred up feelings he'd tried to suppress for months. His unexpected breakup with his former middle school captain and longtime friend, Tezuka, left him filled with regret and longing. The past few months had been rough without Tezuka as his lover and guidepost.

Just as Fuji pondered his situation, a voice interrupted his thoughts, "My, my... I didn't expect to see Seigaku's resident tensai here."

Startled, he turned to see a man clad in luxurious attire, a smug smile adorning his face.

"Atobe? Long time no see," Fuji replied politely.

Atobe, the former captain of Hyotei, took the empty seat next to Fuji with confidence. "Since you're all alone, Ore-sama will grace you with my presence,' he declared. "So, what brings you here at 11 pm, sulking alone in a bar?"

Fuji chuckled lightly at Atobe's description of his situation. "I had a gig earlier and decided to have a drink tonight. I'm a photographer now."

"Yes, I've heard about it. Why didn't you go pro like Tezuka? You're quite talented yourself," Atobe remarked.

"Tennis was just a game for me," Fuji replied, taking a swig of whiskey. "I never took it as seriously as Tezuka or Echizen."

It was then Fuji's turn to ask. "How about you? Why did the so-called 'King of Hyotei' not go pro?"

Atobe shrugged. "Tennis was merely an after-school activity for me as well. I had fun, but I was always meant to inherit our family's company."

Fuji hummed in agreement while he ordered another glass.

"Celebrating something?" Atobe inquired.

"More like mourning. It's supposed to be my fourth anniversary with Tezuka today," Fuji said with downcast eyes.

"'Supposed to'? The last time I heard was that you two were in a serious relationship together despite Tezuka going pro."

"Well, Tezuka broke up with me six months ago. Saying that it was for the best since he wants to focus on tennis and that it wouldn't be fair for me." Fuji then took another big swig of whiskey, almost emptying the glass.

Atobe's interest was piqued by Fuji's explanation. He had always found Fuji intriguing since their middle school days. Despite his good insight into people, Atobe never fully understood Fuji, both on and off the court, which only fueled his interest further. And besides, he has always thought that Fuji is pretty as well...

Oblivious to Atobe's thoughts, Fuji continued, "I've tried everything to distract myself and stop thinking about Tezuka, but nothing seems to work."

A mischievous smirk formed on Atobe's lips as he leaned closer to Fuji. "Well, perhaps I can help with that..."

Fuji raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Are you suggesting what I think you are?"

Atobe, with his usual air of arrogance, replied, "Yes. Sleep with me, and I'll make you forget all about Tezuka."

Fuji chuckled. "I didn't know you swung that way."

"I usually prefer women, but Ore-sama is generous enough to offer my greatness to you as well," Atobe declared confidently.

Fuji was shocked by Atobe's seriousness, almost forgetting how narcissistic he could be.

Not one to usually engage in casual encounters, Fuji hesitated. But, having exhausted all other options to forget Tezuka, he made a decision...

'Fuck it,' he thought.

"Well, I might just take you up on that offer. Fuck me, Atobe. "

Author's Note:

HIII! I don't know if someone will even read this in 2024 but I just wanted to contribute to the scarce Atobe x Fuji fics. As a late bloomer Tenipuri and Fuji fan, I hope that someone out there will still read my fic :-)

Just an update as well: As you can see from my profile, I am a big KnB fan way back 2014 and I even rewatched the whole series and the movie recently. Rewatching it reignited my love for sports animes and fanfics, that's why I had the motivation to write again for my most recent obsession, Prince of Tennis and our resident tensai, Fuji-kun.

And by the way, this is a yaoi fic. I've always loved yaoi fics even during my KnB days (KiKuro and AkaKuro ftw), but this is my first time writing one.

This is my comeback fanfic so please feel free to comment if you're still reading this in 2024! Thanks!

Disclaimer: I don't own Prince of Tennis

PS: This fanfic is posted as well in fanfiction.net under my other username (excapist.ff) and I'm planning to post it as well on Ao3.