Chapter 18

I took one last glance in the mirror. I wore the dangly earrings that I had worn last night. My makeup… well, my mascara was neat and even. I never quite grasped the whole makeup thing, and the mascara was the only thing I could manage.

“You ready to go?” Genevieve asked pinning back my hair. I nodded. “Good, and remember what I told you. Now off you go, don’t be late for the opening” she handed me my bag and walked me to the door. “I’ll see you later, dearie. I have to go and deal with Effie, hopefully she hasn’t broken any more windows or stabbed the chef or something” she kissed both sides of my face and disappeared.

I reached the portal where a small group waited for the opening. Thankfully I didn’t have to wait long. The heat wave effect started and they all started filing through. I closed my eyes and followed and felt the warmer waters brush against my face. I opened my eyes and found I was in the large room of archways. Following the others, I made my way back to the main entrance.

As I swam through the last archway my eyes locked onto his deep hypnotic blue eyes. A smile slowly crept onto his face. Dropping my bag I swam into his open arm, pushing him to the ground. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and feeling a bit bold, planted my lips onto his. I felt him become ridged under me, shocked by my abrupt actions. I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes. Hmm the citrusy smell today.

“I missed you,” I whispered. I felt his body relax under me as his arms encase me. The dance boys didn’t come anywhere close.

“I missed you too,” he whispered back kissing my head. He shifted me in his arms so that he was able to carry me. He awkwardly bent down and picked up my bag and carried me out. I must have fallen asleep as he nudge me when he got to the door. “Aubrey I need to get the keys,” he explained. I sheepishly hopped out of his arms and allowed him to open the door. I flopped across the couch, not caring about all the hours I had spent learning to sit.

While Sebastian took my things upstairs I waited until he returned to run through the routine of lifting my head and plonking himself down beside me, before laying my head on his lap. What did Genevieve want me to do again?

I looked up into his curious eyes with a Mono Lisa smile playing on my lips. I slowly close my lashes as I turned my gaze elsewhere. What was this was supposed to do? I knew I shouldn’t have bothered with Genevieve’s advice. I felt Sebastian stop stroking me and began playing with my hair. “So how was your week?” he asked. I smiled.

“It was interesting, wouldn’t want to do it again, but interesting. You were a very cute kid, honestly what happened?” I giggled.

“What was that? What’s wrong with me now?” he asked poking at my sides making me squirm laughing.

“Nothing, just something Genevieve showed me,” I giggled as he continued to tickle me not satisfied by my answer. I made the conscious effort to sit up and rest against his bare chest delicately putting my hand on his skin, as Genevieve had instructed. He instantly settled down, his heart beating just a little faster. “I think it’s sweet that you are so close to your brother, reminds me of my own,” I pushed my ear to his heart listening to the beat.

“What’s it saying?” he asked placing his heavy hand on my shoulder and looking down at me. I pressed my ear closer trying to hear a voice but failing to do so. I shook my head.

“I can only hear it beat,” I admitted lowering my head in shame. The few times I asked him, he had it right, every time. I slumped against him and played with his free hand.

“I’ll give you a hint,” he smiled. I shook my head my hair wrapping around my face.

“That’s not the point, I won’t ever be able to hear it. Tell me something about you, something I don’t know,” I repositioned myself so I was tucked neatly under his arm as if ‘it was made for me’. Genevieve’s words were already getting to me.