Chapter 13

"You know what? Let's ditch the whole idea

"You know what? Let's ditch the whole idea. I don't think I can tell him today," It's probably the 99th time I muttered the words to my bestie and as usual, Habiba responds with an exasperated sigh.

"Seriously, can you just zip it? And girl! I've never seen you this nervous in my entire life! Not even during your very first interview for your successful design!" Habiba exclaims, snatching a pair of gloves and slipping them on to tackle the dishes. Today is the day Habiba has invited everyone for dinner, and now everyone is finished eating and engaged in conversation in the living room. Meanwhile, here we two best friends are locked in a serious debate about my confession.

"Look at how much power he already has over me!" I shoot back, pacing back and forth in a desperate attempt to calm my racing heart. Habiba stops midway, turning to face me with a reassuring gaze. "My cousin isn't gonna push you off a cliff or stab you, okay? It's just a confession! What's the worst that could happen? He says no? That's it! And then you move on."

"Enough with the negative talk!" I whine, prompting another sigh from Habiba. "We need to consider all possibilities. I'm not like those other best friends who encourage you to be more delusional and set you up for a major heartbreak if things don't go as expected. Let's not obsess over how he might respond. All you need to know is that you're going to spill your feelings, and the rest will unfold naturally."

I nod, feeling the tension melt away as I lean against the kitchen island. "Now, put on your best smile and go find him to confess!" Habiba adds, giving me a gentle nudge out of the kitchen.

"Uh, hi," a familiar voice interrupts, drawing our attention to the kitchen entrance only to find Zahra standing there with a slight smile. I glance at Habiba, exchanging awkward smiles, thinking if Zahra overheard our conversation. However, judging by her expression, we're almost certain she didn't hear a thing. "Hey Zahra, do you need anything?" Habiba asks.

"No. I just wanted to help." Zahra answers, taking a step into the kitchen. "I'll be joining you in a few minutes," I say, earning nods from both Zahra and Habiba. As Habiba's attention shifts back to Zahra, their conversation continues.

"No, Zahra, You can go back and rest. I'll take care of the dishes."

"Please, let me help you."

"No Zahra, you are our guest"

"I'm your cousin. We are just like family Habiba. Please let me help you"

The conversation between Habiba and Zahra gradually fades as I emerge from the kitchen. My eyes wander Around the house, searching for the only person I am looking for. I notice Adam and Anas engaged in a conversation in the living room, but Zayan is nowhere to be found among them.