Chapter three

I had packed my clothes only. Drew said he had camping gear ready, so I wasn't stressing about the technicalities of it all.

He had about thirty minutes to arrive, so I was ready. The week has not been eventful thus far. I had spent it doing my work, grabbing a few beers after work with Lewis, then coming straight back to my apartment.

I heard a knock on the door, surprised because Drew still had about ten minutes left before he's supposed to arrive.

I went to the door to open, surprised at seeing Sam. He was my neighbour, his apartment the one next to mine.

"Hello, Leon. I feel like I haven't seen you in a long time," he said, coming to hug me.

I hugged him back, smiling. I let go, appreciating the stubble he had on. He's been gone for a month, so I missed the guy. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming back?"

"It was a surprise. You going somewhere?" he asked, seeing that I was dressed up.

Under his gaze, I remembered just how attracted I was to the guy. He had black shoulder length hair that he always put in a bun, his eyes were brown and jaw defined. We had similar builds, so we were both lean with muscles. We used to be gym buddies, until I couldn't handle it anymore. Being in close proximity with him, whilst he was half naked was a no no.

"Yes. I'm going on a hiking trip with... a friend," I said, running a hand through my hair. My heart squeezed at the fact that I just said Drew was my friend. 

"If I'd known, I would have come earlier. Well, let me not hold you up then."

"No, it's fine. You can come in and tell me all about your trip," I said, opening the door wider. When he smiled, it was one of those that would sweep you off your feet. Sometimes I felt like he liked me. I know, I was delusional. But friends don't knock on your doors everyday before work just to wish you a happy morning or have a good day at work. They certainly don't let their hands linger on your shoulders or find a reason to touch you.

I didn't mind. In fact, I reciprocated the gestures.

"Still remember where everything is, right?" I asked, heading to my bedroom to grab my bag.

"Yeah," he said, going to the kitchen. I put my bag on the couch, then went to the kitchen and joined Sam. He had poured juice for me.

I grabbed the glass, then took a gulp.

"When will you guys be back?" he asked, grabbing both our empty glasses and washing them. He took the jug of juice back into the fridge.

"Sunday night."

He nodded, walking with me out of the kitchen. "Just let me know when you've arrived and maybe we can catch up properly."

"Yes. I'd love that. And you can tell me about your trip. Maybe-" A knock on the door interrupted me. "Please get the door for me," I said, going to grab my bag in the sitting room.

I came back to see Drew giving Sam a suspicious look, then his mistrust turned to me. "What?" I asked, pushing Sam out of my apartment and closing it. "Drew, this is Sam. Sam, this is Drew."

"Nice to meet you, Drew. I was telling Leon here that if I'd known about your hiking trip ahead of time, I'd be joining you," Sam said, laughing thereafter.

Drew was definitely starting to brew because he crossed his arma and glared at Sam. Fortunately, Sam couldn't really seem to keep his eyes off me.

"I'll see you on Sunday, Sam." I told him, pushing him off to his apartment.

"I can't wait," he said.

I think I blushed. I waited a moment to calm down before turning around to face Drew.

"Have some decency, Leon. It's our anniversary," he snapped.

"Sorry," I replied, smiling. He rolled his eyes, then offered his hand for my bag. I gave it to him, then followed after him.

"Who's he? You've never mentioned him before," he said, a hint of suspicion in his tone.

"That's Sam," I said.

"Really?" He raised a brow, eyes too intense. I lost the eye contact, running a hand through my hair.

I stalled, not knowing how to properly explain our relationship. Drew probably knew that I fancied Sam or something.

The elevator stopped, then opened.

"You still haven't answered. I don't want us going out for our anniversary with you thinking about that Sam. We are still married, you know?"

I rolled my eyes. We got in his car, with him putting my bag on the backseat.

"I know we're still married, Drew. But I'm not coming home anytime soon. You didn't see me complaining about your little fling a month ago," I retorted, fiddling with the radio for a good station.

"It was a fling. You look like you're in love with the guy!"

"That's not true. We're just good friends," I argued, but I could tell I was not convincing.

As much as I loved Drew, two years apart didn't make the heart grow fonder. We've both had our fair share of flings. It did hurt when I would read a tabloid about Drew with some person latched on his arm. In the beginning, it was hell. I don't know if I liked torturing myself, but I would read every article that they were featured in to see what they were up to. When we were married, he would go to events with random people, but he was not fooling around with them. But after the separation, I knew he fooled around with them. I encouraged it even, but I thought he wouldn't go ahead with that. He had his needs, and I was not around. I understood, but it was hell for me.

He didn't even know the people I fooled around with because it was not published on some magazine or gossip blog. He never had a reason to feel jealous. I can't really commit to a relationship because there's this thing that I'm still married, that I still love Drew romantically and one day I'll go back to him and we will be in love like we were. Maybe not going ahead with the divorce was a mistake on my part.

"I'm just saying, don't go around falling in love with every person you meet," he said, making me huff.

"I won't." I don't know.