43❥Hope

Seeing Val force a hug on Roman would have been comical if it weren't for the situation we were in

He looked almost disgusted as he halfheartedly wrapped an arm around her in response. However, his gratitude was evident in his words as he thanked her for being there. Their uneasy friendship made me smile.

I didn't have time to analyze it further when Myles came down the hall with a coffee in each hand. "Roman, Briar, you're here!"

"Myles!" My smile grew. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh you know," he hands a cup to Valentina and then throws his now free arm over Roman's shoulders. "I had to be here for my best buddy here."

Roman shakes his head and misses the wink he throws at Val, who in response, rolls her eyes and takes a sip of her coffee. I came to the conclusion that she must have brought him here. Or maybe Myles really was just trying to be a good friend.

"Did you see him yet?" Roman directs the question at Val.

She nods her head before she answers with words. "He's up and already trying to be active. Maybe you can talk more sense into him than I could. He needs more rest. No matter what he tries to convince you otherwise."

Roman runs a hand through his hair and looks at me. "I'll be back."

I watch him as he goes. "Do you think I should go with him?" I ask Val.

"No, he should talk to him alone." I nod in agreement. I can't help still worrying about him though.

"What about his mother?" I hesitate to ask. "Have you seen her too?"

"I checked on her," she says and takes a seat in the chair behind her. "I didn't stay long though. I don't know how to talk to her." She shrugs and takes another sip.

We go quiet as we sit together, waiting for Roman to come back out. Myles starts up conversation after a while and I leave him and Val to talk as I find a bathroom.

I'm coming out of the bathroom door when I hear an argument close by. It sounds like nurses trying to convince some patient to make it back to their room.

"If you're not going to help me feel better then I no longer need your assistance."

"Ma'am, you have to rest more. You need further treatment. I highly advise you to stay at least another night."

"Another night in this hell hole is going to send me right off the-" She didn't have time to finish that thought and I didn't have time to throw myself out of the way. The lady slams right into me, nearly knocking me to the ground if we didn't latch on to each other last second.

"My lord, don't you know how to-" her words cut off once again as she looked me in the face. She just stares a moment before recognition flashes behind her familiar eyes.