Chapter 19: Side Quest

A few days after the tournament, I learned that the winner of the magic division was none other than Lydian. Her victory, a surprise to nearly everyone, didn't catch me off-guard. From a distance, I could see the newfound respect she garnered from the academy. It was a quiet triumph, one that had the whole academy talking about her character and her abilities.

From what I heard she used a large-scale holy spell that "Brought the heavens to earth," according to the spectators. Whatever that means, case in point, she was finally able to break her magic block. I at least felt good inside knowing I was able to help her get a grasp on holy magic.

Her opponent in the final round was Adrian Hale, a favorite, known for his spellcraft and elemental mastery. Yet, Lydian's unexpected prowess and raw emotional intensity overwhelmed even his refined techniques, marking a pivotal moment in her journey.

As the buzz of her victory still filled the classroom, I sat beside Ethan. Noticing his sword's absence from his sheath, a pang of guilt washed over me, remembering the harsh reality of the tournament's outcome. But his eyes told a different story—one of acceptance.

"Ethan," I said quietly, nudging his thoughts back to the present. "You have any plans for a new sword?"

He offered a faint smile, contemplative yet resolved. "Actually, I've sent the broken shards to my family's private blacksmith to have them reforged into something new. I want this sword to symbolize a new chapter, not just a replacement for what was lost."

"Wow, that's a powerful way to move forward," I remarked, admiring his resilience. "Incorporating the old with the new—it's like embracing your past to forge your future."

"In retrospect, I still think you should have joined Evelyn," he said, a hint of what-if lingering in his voice.

"You say that, but if I did join there would be no competition," I laughed.

Ethan's chuckle echoed mine, but there was a hint of seriousness in his eyes. "Maybe so..."

I shrugged, feeling the weight of his words. "I know, but sometimes it feels like the more I show, the more I have to hide. It's a strange balance."

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that umm," Ethan's laughter trailed off as he caught the serious undertone in my voice. He glanced away, rubbing the back of his neck, "Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest—"

I waved off his concern with a smile. "It's okay, Ethan. I know you meant well. It's just... complicated, you know?"

He nodded, his expression softening, his eyes flicking back to mine with a renewed understanding. "Yeah, I get that. It must be tough balancing all this... attention and expectation."

Before I could respond, Emily's bubbly voice cut through the air. "Evelyn! There you are!" Her enthusiasm was like a wave, sweeping over the room as she wrapped me in a tight, overly happy hug.

"Emily, this isn't your class?" I asked, surprised by her clinginess.

"I'm so glad I found you! I've been dying to invite you to a tea party at my place. Just a little get-together to discuss... something super important!" Emily beamed, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"A tea party, huh?" I mused, intrigued by what Emily considered 'super important.' "Sure, I'll come. When is it?"

"After class! Oh, I can't wait to share something with you!" Emily gushed, her happiness infectious.

As she bounced away, Ethan watched the exchange with an amused smile. "Looks like you've got plans after class..."

"I never knew you were so close to Emily," Ethan remarked.

"Yeah, well, it's more like she's the one close to me," I explained, reflecting on Emily's unpredictable nature. "But who knows this tea party might reveal something unexpected."

"Oh, I think I see how it is... Well, I'm just glad you have a good friend. It's refreshingly surprising."

"Refreshingly surprising?" I echoed.

"Oh, I was just thinking your usual self would have avoided any sort of socializing like this." Ethan's tone was light, but his words carried an underlying truth. "You're definitely branching out more than before, Evelyn."

He wasn't wrong. The past me—no, the pre-isekai me—would have avoided any social interaction. Yet here I was, about to dive into the unknown at Emily's invitation.

"Well, sometimes, to understand the game, you have to play along a bit. And Emily's invitation might just be a perfect chance to witness a limited-time side quest," I mused aloud.

"I'm not sure what that means but try not to get too tangled in whatever Emily has planned," Ethan chuckled, raising an eyebrow in playful suspicion.

"Will do," I replied, appreciating his light-hearted approach.

After the mundane lessons of the day concluded, I gathered my books and prepared for Emily's tea party. The classes had been background noise, my mind swirling with thoughts about what awaited at Emily's.

Navigating the crowded halls, I pondered Emily's possible motives. Knowing her crush on the prince, I suspected she might seek my help in impressing him or navigating her infatuation. This sudden deviation from the game's script intrigued me. My character was meant to bully Lydian, not defend her—a twist in the narrative I hadn't treaded.

Arriving at Emily's, her effervescent hug welcomed me into a room decorated with meticulous care. The tea set, arranged with impeccable attention to detail, reflected the light in a way that highlighted Emily's refined background.

"Thank you for coming, Evelyn," Emily began, pouring the tea with a flourish. "I know this might seem sudden, but I really needed to talk to someone about this."

I sipped the tea, its warmth spreading through me, and nodded for her to continue.

"It's about Lydian," she whispered, her fingers tracing the rim of her cup. "I've heard rumors and seen things... Someone's bullying her, and I think it's because of me."

My brow furrowed. "Because of you? How so?"

Tears glistened in Emily's eyes. "I shared how much I admire Cornelius's relationship with Lydian. I think someone misunderstood and thought harming her would win my favor. It's awful, Evelyn. I never wanted this."

The situation was more serious than I had anticipated. It was a clear reminder of how easily admiration could turn into manipulation and harm. "We need to address this, Emily. It's not your fault, but we can't let this continue."

Her relief was palpable as she nodded vigorously. "Yes, please, I need your help... I don't want the prince to find out about this and hate me, I want to make this right."

"Of course, I'll help. First, what sort of bullying has been happening? As far as I know, this is all news to me."

Emily took a deep breath. "Lydian's belongings have been scattered and destroyed around the grounds. Her notes and spellbooks have been torn, and there's cruel graffiti targeting her. It's all designed to humiliate her and make her seem weak."

Knowing Lydian, she probably kept quiet and tried to endure it alone.

"Couldn't you ask your friends and followers to stop bothering Lydian?" I suggested, trying to find a simpler solution to the problem.

Emily nodded but seemed uncertain. "I could, but some might not listen, especially if they think it's helping me. I need to make it clear this isn't what I want."

"Right," I said thoughtfully. "We'll need to take a more direct approach. One so direct that it will catch them red-handed."

Her eyes widened. "Red-handed?"

"The ideal plan would be for me to camp out and catch the bullies in the act. Once caught I'll make it to where they never even think of harassing anyone again, not just Lydian," I asserted, the plan taking shape in my mind.

"That idea sounds scary... But I'll trust you on this."

"Good," I nodded. "I'll start tomorrow. I'll keep a close eye on Lydian the whole day."

Emily's eyes widened again, but she agreed. "I understand. It's risky, but if it puts an end to this, I'm for it."