Chapter Seven

"Why do they always have to travel in packs?" Harry asked, frustratedly. "How are you supposed to get one alone to ask them..."

"Blimey, Harry, you slayed dragons. If you can't get a date who can?" Ron shook his head.

The two of them were watching small crowds of girls walking past, giving them icy looks as they walked by.

"I think I'd take the dragon right now," Harry sighed.

"Why don't you just ask Elizabeth? You've never been afraid of asking her before," Ron pointed out before stopping and thinking about it for a moment. "Do you no longer like her anymore?" Ron's words held so much hope that Harry almost felt guilt that it wasn't the case at all.

"No... Hermione suggested that I try letting her do her own thing for a few days and not try to approach her," He frowned. "I don't like it... I haven't talked to Lizabeth in so long."

"She'll come around, you're the Chosen One, she'd be crazy not to," Ron tried cheering him up. "You'll ask her to the dance in a few days and she will ecstatically say yes. You will have an amazing time at the dance and will share a kiss and will do everything that your heart desires."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

ϟϟϟ

Elizabeth was scurrying to her Astronomy class. She wanted to get their early before the crowds came, and before Anthony Goldstein could take her spot. He had a crush on Padma, and had a nasty habit of stealing Elizabeth's spot despite her protests of "friends don't take friend's spots".

She was just about to go under the bridge before the tower when something hit her on the head. She slid on an ice patch to a stop, looking around for what landed on her head. She touched where it landed to find it wet.

Assuming it was just Seamus and Dean throwing snowballs at her, she went to continue when another one landed right in front of her, keeping its shape. Elizabeth picked it up with cold hands and realized that it was in the shape of a question mark.

"What in the world..." Elizabeth murmured.

"I was wondering when you'd stop," someone said from atop of the bridge. She looked up, finding George, and wondering how did he get up there. "What's the hurry, Ickle Liz?"

"Trying to get to class," Elizabeth said, showing him her books. "What are you doing, George? Are you planning on raining snowballs on top of everyone who is trying to get to Astronomy?"

"Aw, don't sound so disappointed, Liz," She could practically hear the frown crossing George's face. "The rain of snowballs was just for you."

"I'm honoured," Elizabeth said, letting the sarcasm lace her words.

"Always a pleasure honouring you," George said, before jumping off the bridge top and landing in a nearby snowbank. "I had a question for you."

Elizabeth realized he was going to ask it one way or another so replied, "Make it quick."

"Will you go to the Yule Ball with me?" He asked while stepping out of the snowbank.

She narrowed her eyes, partly in disbelief that he would ask her, and partly thinking it was a joke.

"In all honesty, I just want to see Harry's reaction when he finds out that you're going with someone that's not him," George admitted, brushing his shoulders off of any remaining snow.

"You're cruel," Elizabeth retorted.

"If I wasn't, you'd have to admit that you would like me if it wasn't for me and my brother's pranks," He pointed out.

Elizabeth shuffled her books, considering her options. She could wait for somebody else to ask her, but that option was doubtful due to Draco's influence. She could go with Harry, but she didn't have it in her heart to go up to him and talk to him yet. Besides, he had stopped trying to approach her and she doubted that he still liked her. She could go with George, so at least she'd have a date and one who could make the dance fun if it began to go downhill.

She held one of her hands out, for George to shake, "Deal."

"A handshake, not exactly what I'd expect as a response from my date to the Yule Ball," George remarked.

"You were expecting a no?" Elizabeth asked, finding herself trying to joke with him like she does with the Slytherins.

"I think that Malfoy and his goons have influenced you too much," He commented with a slight smile. "Get to class."

She grinned at him before walking past him to get to the Astronomy tower. She held that same grin as she sat down, and even when her fellow classmates began filing in.

"What's got you so happy?" Padma asked when she sat down.

"I've got a date," Elizabeth said, "and he isn't afraid of Draco." Feeling Padma's somewhat sadness, she glanced towards Anthony who was staring longfully in their direction, "And by the looks of it, you'll have a date soon, too."

Padma followed her gaze and shook her head, "Anthony? He doesn't have the guts. He's been looking at me like that since the start of this year but hasn't brought up anything when we've talked except for books." She nudged Elizabeth with her elbow, "So, who's the lucky guy? Harry? Draco? Blaise?"

"Why would Draco even be on that list? We might as well be siblings!" Elizabeth laughed, shaking her head. "No, no, and no. I'm going with George. He asked me while I was trying to get here."

"George?" Padma looked startled, "I thought you didn't like him. You even said it in first year that him and his twin 'annoyed the hell out of you'."

Elizabeth nodded, "I did say that. And they do. But George seemed sweet and honest when he asked me so I thought, 'why not give him a chance?'." The lie slid so easily off her tongue, she wondered if she really should've been considered for Slytherin.

"Good for you," Padma proudly smiled at her, like Elizabeth had made some great achievement. It would've made Elizabeth feel proud too; if it wasn't entirely false.