Twenty Nine

"I have still got a headache," said Joseph to Doctor Foulkes. "Are you positive you haven't missed a tumour?"

"We'll scan you again shortly," Foulkes said. "I'm afraid your situation has no sensible precedent."

"That's not a reassuring bedside manner," Joseph complained. "You should work on that."

Foulkes gave Joseph a look that indicated the doctor was tired of something. Possibly that thing was Joseph's nonsense.

"I'll come and get you when the MRI scanner is ready," Foulkes said. "Until then, rest and relax."

Foulkes left the room, Dulcie entered.

"Hi," Joseph said. "How are you doing? Headache?"

"No," Dulcie replied. "I'm just fine."

"I suppose you'll be looking for a new job now," Joseph said, a little slow, a little careful. Obviously he wanted to ask her about Castor's job offer but he didn't want Simon to hear. "I guess architecting is not as attractive a proposition as it once was."

"I'm considering my options. I guess you are too," Dulcie answered, just as slow, just as careful.

"I don't feel that I have many," Joseph said. "Don't let that impact on your decision making process. You aren't bound to protect me forever."

"Okay," Dulcie said. "I'll bear that in mind."

There was the silence that happens in such circumstances. When you're both wondering if you can say more without sounding suspicious.

"So, you have a headache?" Dulcie broke the silence.

"Yeah, likely just a tumour, nothing serious," Joseph said.

"Has anyone ever told you you're a real 'glass half empty' kind of dude?" Dulcie asked him.

"I call the glasses as I see them is all," Joseph replied, smiling. "if I dare to look on the bright side maybe this is just an AI erasure hangover."

"How long do those generally last?" Dulcie asked.

"We'll just have to wait and see," Joseph said.