Lavender

The wind blew on my scarf as I neared the café. The gray clouds promised no happiness for me. I stepped into the coffee shop feeling a wave of nostalgia. This was the place me and Jasmine would usually go to when we just wanted to hang. I drew out a breath as I approached the counter, my neck craning to look for a familiar disheveled blond.

"Can I get you anything?"

The girl at the counter stared at me, mildly interested as she chewed a gum in her mouth.

"Latte, regular." I say and fish out my wallet from my bag. She rolls her eyes as she takes my money before disappearing through the backdoor of the cafe. She later emerged and flicked her eyes over the 'claim' counter. I hold back the urge to snap at her. The barista was making my drink, his hands moving in routine. He flashed me a smile over the counter as he finished my coffee. I stare at him blankly when the familiar chimes of the door opening, rings. I glance over to who had come in and there he was, with his disheveled blond hair. His eyes find mine and they looked sullen. I actually thought if this was actually a good idea. We did not speak as I walked over to an empty table. He followed me and sat across as I plopped myself on the hard chairs.

I clasp and unclasp my hand over my cup as he continued to stare outside the window. The rain had started to fall and I shifted uncomfortably. God, this was a stupid idea. I suck in a breath, gaining his attention. We had a stare down before I break it, fishing a piece of paper in my bag. I flicked it over to him with an expectation of an explanation. His eyes fall on the piece of paper. Something dark passed over his features as he averts his gaze, his shoulders moving. He wore a gray hoodie over a black shirt, the neck line barely visible over the hoodies. His teal eyes looked up at me, his eyebrow arched.

"You ask for me to meet you so you could show me a piece of paper from a fortune cookie?"

My patience faltered as I grabbed the piece of paper from the table. I shot him a look.

"Funny. Can't you read? It's not a fortune." I snap, clutching my cup only to pull away from it from the heat. He leans back and I saw his jaw tense.

"Was it supposed to mean something?" He asked and I actually rolled my eyes at him. Tired of his games.

"I don't know, Jasper. You tell me." I leaned back on my chair, my arms crossed over my chest as I leveled his gaze. To my annoyance his lips curve into a crooked smile as he lets out an air of a chuckle.

"What are you trying to accuse me of exactly?" There was an edge to his tone. I noted his change in demeanor as his eyes never wavered. I grab the piece of paper and wave it in front of him.

"This," I stated, he watched the paper in my hand, his expression unreadable. "It's not funny."

"Well, you are not finding me laughing about it." He replies sarcastically and I felt like slapping him senseless, in front of all these people. I shove the paper back in my bag.

"You know what? This was a mistake. Should not have called you. Go, enjoy your sick joke but just so you know. I will never stop looking for her." My voice shook as I realized I was on the verge of tears. I stood up and grabbed my cup before walking away before he gripped my arm.

"You think I have?" He asked as I pry my arm away. I was not about to make a scene inside a coffee shop. The strong wind greeted me when I got outside as thunder rumbled in the sky above. Great, just fucking great.

I start to walk to god knows where, the tears eventually falling. What had I expected? That he would say 'you got me, she's actually just chilling at my parents house in the country' ? I laughed bitterly, causing some of the passer by's to look at me strangely. I stopped when I reached the end of a less crowded street, my hands gripping my coffee cup harshly.