Part 4 - Whispering Forest

"I think we should rest there for the night," Drake said, pointing to a thick grouping of trees formed in a natural circle about fifty yards in from the river bank. "The canopy should allow us to build a small fire. We can roast the wild pheasant you caught, Kali, and we'll still have time to extinguish the flames before dark falls."

"Yes, please," Ferra moaned and headed in the direction of their camp before anyone else could offer a protest. "After three days of eating bread and cheese, I'm looking forward to the meal. I'll even gather the tinder and sticks without complaint."

Kali nodded in agreement and stooped to the river with her leather flask, filling it to the top. She drank deeply and sighed at the rejuvenating freshness of the cool water. Pulling the pheasant from her belt loop, she plopped down on a grassy patch not far from the river and began plucking the feathers against the grain in quick, sure strokes, starting at the tail.

"Maybe I can find berries or mushrooms around here," Harold said, shielding his eyes from the sun with his hand as he perused the forest. "If we're lucky, I may even find wild asparagus or other edible plants."

"That would be lovely," Kali said with a broad smile. "I'm glad you agreed to come along, Harold. You know so much about wild plants. We'd be lost without you."

"Hardly." He snorted and shook his head. "Meat fills your belly far longer than plants. You'd be just fine without me. But I'm happy to come along. It's exciting to forage for new plants and animals. I've already discovered so many undocumented species."

Thumbing through one of his books, he looked up and smiled. "Here, see?" he said, pointing to a rough drawing of a plant. "Purslane should grow around here. I've never tried it before, but it is said to have a refreshingly sour taste. I'll be back soon."

Kali chuckled and continued diligently at her task, making sure to keep the feathers in a neat pile next to her. They might prove useful later. After a while, Drake settled down next to her with his legs sprawled out in front of him and leaned back on his outstretched arms. His fingers dug into the warm grass as he lifted his face to the sun.

"Hand it over when you're done and I'll gut it for you."

"I know how to gut a bird, Drake."

"I'm sure you do. But it isn't pleasant and you've already earned your keep. Let me be useful."

She pursed her lips and tossed him a cocked brow. "Well, when you put it that way. Fine."

"But hurry up, would you?" His stomach growled fiercely in agreement and he laughed. "Like my pa always says—I'm so bloody hungry I could eat my own foot."

Kali paused in her plucking and stared at him. A gentle smile curved his lips, but his crystal-blue eyes sparkled with a deep longing. Her Uncle Quentin had been gone at sea for over two months. It wasn't like him to miss one of their birthdays, and she knew Drake was concerned beneath his brave exterior. But being the captain of a ship came with responsibilities, and the sea was often an unpredictable mistress.

"I'm sorry your father couldn't celebrate with us," Kali said, returning to the task of plucking feathers. She bit her bottom lip and glanced at him, saying what really weighed on her mind. "You didn't get to say good-bye."

Drake mulled her words over and shrugged. "No matter. I'll see him soon enough. And maybe after I've killed the dragon sorceress, he'll finally agree that I'm man enough to join his crew."

Kali nodded but said nothing. A part of her secretly hoped her uncle never gave in to Drake's unwavering desire to take to the sea. She had seen him return too many times with a man or two gone missing from his crew. But Quentin wouldn't be able to use the excuse of Drake's youth and inexperience much longer.