Their Paid Girl - Part 13

It soon became pretty apparent why Adam had come knocking down my door at seven in the morning. The ride was endless.

          It was as if he was aiming to drive off the end of the world, and gradually I got grumpier and grumpier.

          We took a quick stop at a McDonald’s where I went to use the washroom and tried not coming back out. It didn’t work; Adam came in himself to drag me out, annoyed that it had come to this, while I scowled and half-heartedly resisted his tugging.

An old dear just smiled at me fondly instead of hitting him up the head with her purse, which looked like it had a year’s stash of cat food in it. Honestly, where were the good old days when a guy who walked into the girl’s washroom came crawling back out, instead of dragging her?

          I concluded that my gender was too much in awe of his good looks. What a pity.

          It took Adam an awful lot of coaxing and threatening to get me back into his Porsche. Secretly I enjoyed making his life more difficult, but there was an element of truth to it all. It kind of terrified me, sitting alone with Adam in his car, going to God knows where.

          So, for the next four hours I sort of sank into a lethargic state, forehead plastered to his window as I gazed at the secluded forest rushing by. Occasionally I attempted changing the radio station, but Adam wouldn’t even let me turn down the God-awful screamo metal.

          Head pounding, eyes shut, it took awhile for me to realize that we had finally stopped. And I only realized because Adam suddenly opened the door I’d been leaning against and I tumbled out of the car, falling on gravel, hopelessly tangled in the seatbelt.

          Somewhere above me Adam snickered as I woozily got on my hands and knees, trying to unbuckle myself while completely disoriented. Blurrily I gazed into the car’s interior. The clock on the dashboard read ten past five.

          We’d been driving for approximately nine and a half hours. My butt cheeks felt like they were in a coma – I couldn’t feel them.

          I was suddenly gracefully pulled to my feet, and saw Adam smiling graciously down at me. Bewildered, I was about to smack him for freaking me out by his sudden change of heart, before realizing that there were people standing in an enormous bay window in the house behind us.

          Oh, the smile was just for show. I relaxed slightly.

          Except it wasn’t a house. It was a freaking Taj Mahal. He hadn’t been kidding when he’d said estates, either.

          I frowned. “I feel like I just fell into a Jane Austen novel,” I muttered, rubbing my head and still staring in confusion at the mansion in front of me. A fountain with a hideous, butt-naked cherub gurgled nearby.

          But the people in the window still had my attention. I realized that I was staring too long, because I could now distinctly see concerned looks on the faces of the people, not understanding why I was still gazing at them with my jaw unhinged.

          “Close your mouth, you're attracting all the flies again. I liked the little tumble, by the way,” Adam’s husky low voice sounded in my ear, and I gave a shuddering gasp.

          I’d completely forgotten that he was still holding me from when he’d pulled me up. Surprisingly, it felt natural standing in his arms. As soon as I registered that thought, I pulled away, attempting to smooth my hair.

          The people at the window had disappeared, probably gone downstairs to greet us at the front. We had several moments of privacy.

          “Right,” I hissed into his face, “Let’s get one thing straight, shall we? From now on, I’m the one in charge here. I’m the one who puts on the show, decides what course of action to take. I know how to do my job better than you do, so if you interfere or keep throwing me sweet little poisoned jabs all night, I swear I’ll poison you. Got that?”

          Adam raised a bored eyebrow. “Wow,” he commented with great feeling. “Have I ever told you how unbearable you are?”

         I bristled. “I regret that I haven’t ever told you what an arrogant, self-assured, hateful little prick you are. I'd just like to leave you with one thought, even though I'm not sure if you have anywhere to put it: I. Detest. You.”

          Adam gave a patient sigh. “Shawna, are you done?”

          I glared. “Not yet.”

          With a swift yank, the deed was done, just as the door behind Adam opened and an elderly gentleman came out.

          Side-stepping Adam, I smiled at the butler hurrying across the lawn, just as Adam’s jeans fell to the ground.

          I saw the butler stop dead, his eyes bugging out before staring at me. I widened my eyes too, glancing behind me to smirk at Adam.

          “Adam!” I gasped, hand over my mouth. “Keep your pants on, babe!”

          Adam apparently wasn’t bothered, yanking his jeans back up around his hot butt and buttoning them. He politely greeted his butler, as if his jeans obeying the call of gravity was a normal occurrence, before taking my hand in his, tugging us towards the house.

          I winced at the pressure of his hand, but that didn’t stop me from quietly giggling under my breath. The momentary shock that had crossed Adam’s face as he felt the breeze...

          “That desperate for a view, were we?” Adam muttered sourly while maintaining an awful fake grin on his face. He looked like he was in serious physical or spiritual pain. Seeing as he probably doesn't have a soul, I just assumed he was stiff from the nine hours of driving.

          “You call that a view?” I murmured back, distracted.

          We neared the large entrance hall and I frantically wondered which expression to settle on.

          Smile? Look scornful? Arrogant? Not having enough time to decide upon strategy, I just chose the one that looked most convincing on my face.

          I scowled.

          They could just assume that I didn’t want to be meeting his parents, I’d remain sullen and silent, and that would already be a rude enough introduction.

          Except, I was totally, and entirely, unprepared for Adam’s parents.

Note from ella:

I'M SORRY! This is really shameless of me, this is the shortest upload I've ever done! But so many were asking for uploads, so here's what I had... Sorry again :S My grandparents are coming from overseas tomorrow and I've been working both jobs too. Gah. Next chapter will be extra long to make up for it! Promise! <3