Chapter 5: What Are You Afraid Of?

Author's note: Play the video on the side while reading, I think it defines the atmosphere of this scene quite well. :)

- Sophie_Juniper

Caroline was standing in a dark room, very dark. She didn't even see the walls around her.

"How did I get here?" She wondered.

There was no memory coming to this weird place. Caroline looked around and saw a mirror standing about 15 yards on her left. She automaticly walked in front of it and stared at her reflection.

"What are you afraid of?" the reflection whispered.

"You. I'm afraid of you." Caroline answered in a heart beat.

Suddenly the mirror was gone but the reflection was still there. First Caroline thought it was Silas but then she got this weird feeling, that it couldn't be. The reflection started to walk slowly around Caroline and she was like frozen to the exact spot in which she stood on.

"Don't underestimate the allure of darkness... Even the purest hearts are drawn to it." The reflection whispered with a vicious smile on her lips.

"There is no allure to darkness..." Caroline started but her voice was weak.

"So you never felt the attraction that comes when someone who is capable of doing teribble thing for some reason cares only about you?" The reflection laughed at Caroline.

Caroline didn't have time to answer when the reflection started move on in high speed, attacking towards Caroline with force and words. The reflection crabbed her neck and lifted her from the ground, strangling her.

"Elena was right, wasn't she? Deep down you long to have your perfect feathers ruffled." It said and smacked Caroline to the ground.

Caroline felt helpless. She tried to move and get up when the reflection locked her wrists against the ground and stared in Caroline's eyes. They were facing each other just few inches away when the reflection flashed a pesky little smile to Caroline and said:

"You don't have to feel guilty about all the dirty thoughts you have about Klaus."

Caroline got her voice back and screamed:

"Shut up. Shut UP! SHUT UP!" Caroline struggled against her reflection and continued screaming her eyes shut.

"Caroline! Wake up! Caroline, wake up now! It's just a bad dream." an sharp but calming voice said.

Caroline opened her eyes and blinked a few times. It was still dark but her bedside table lamp was on. Someone sat next to her and caressed her hair kindly.

Only one word fleed from Caroline's lips:

"Tyler?!"