Prologue

At the tender age of 16, she met him, her mate. He turned out to be everything a sixteen-year-old girl could dream of. Romantic dates, public declarations of love, standing by her side when going gets tough. Girls were jealous of her for having such a loving and attentive mate, or so she thought. It wasn't jealousy that seared their bond but the hidden truth she stumbled upon.

The alpha's daughter, a girl who wears her heart on her sleeve, is sheltered from the world by her herculean father, overprotective twin, and annoying younger brother. A girl that looks at the world in good faith. Sooner than later, her faith was shredded to pieces.

It happened a week before her 18th birthday. It was a moonless night, but her pack was awash with light and cheer. It was for the marking ceremony, where her mate would mark her, and then, after a private family gathering, they were to leave for secluded, sacred woods. It was a way to welcome her mate into the family and to get to know what was in store for him after they completed their mating when she turned eighteen. All in all, it was a big day, and she was supposed to be the happiest person alive, as nothing seems better than bonding with someone for life that makes you happy and loves you for who you are.

But alas! it was an illusion, a beautiful mirage that ended that dreadful day.

She was going to his house to surprise him, but instead, she was stupefied. Her mind went numb, and so did her heart when she learned the truth. Her world was turned upside down when she heard the conspiracy that he was involved in and what he truly felt about her.

Her belief was thrashed, and she was crushed. But it was not the time for her to wallow in self-pity. Everything she loved was at stake; her family and her pack. She has to protect them. So she ran and didn't stop till she reached the pack garden where this ceremony would happen.

Sadly, it wasn't enough. She was late.

The sight before her was gruesome. The place was ablaze with fire. People were shouting, fighting to protect their pack against what appeared to be a rogue attack. She would have thought that too if she didn't know the truth. Now she knew better.

Some were in wolf form, while others were in their human form with weapons to defend the weak and guide the children. It was chaos, and she was right in the middle of it.

Only one thing kept playing in her mind like a broken record.

She couldn't make it.

That was how her father found her—in the midst of battle, sitting on her haunches, clutching her head with a devastated look in her eyes. He kept shouting something to her, but his voice was lost in the numerous wails of people who lost a loved one, the wounded's whimpers, and the warriors' battle cry.

She wanted to tell him about the truth she had learned, but words failed her. Finally, she broke out of her stupor when her father lifted her in his arms and staggered. She became frantic when she took note of his injuries. Getting out of his hold even when he was injured was a difficult task, but she somehow managed and assured him that she would take care of herself and that he needed to focus on the fight.

She joined the battle with little experience as backup, and, as a result, she was wounded quickly and badly. She only started training three months back when her father finally accepted that he could not be everywhere to protect her. She knew she wouldn't last long at this rate, but she would never return from a commitment. It was against everything she was taught, and she was not a coward. She would rather die than flee the scene.

She saw a rogue was preparing to pounce on a harmless child and intervened. The child was saved, but she was now in the denser part of the woods. She was not in the main battleground but away from it. She started towards the garden but stumbled and fell. She didn't know when she lost consciousness, but she woke up to find two wolves circling her. They were rogues. She was petrified and drained.

Somehow she managed to stand. Her dagger was still clutched in one hand, but her strength was not there. At times like this, she felt the absence of her wolf more pronounced. But there was nothing that she could do about it. She felt like crying but held her tears back.

They pounced on her at the same time. Somehow, she killed one and, by goddess's grace, the other died because of his clumsiness. She breathed a sigh of relief and started walking towards an unknown destination. Her mind was in a whirlwind, still trying to process what had happened in the past few hours. Her heart was trying to make sense of his betrayal, her soul crying for her pack members that she had lost.

The forest ground was uneven and full of debris that once in a while made her already bloodied feet bleed. After a time, she came across a river. With a sudden urge to wash the remains of the day, she didn't stop when she reached the bank. Instead, she continued, and when she was waist-deep in the water, she let go. She took a deep, shuddering breath and dunked. After surfacing, she stood still for a moment. The hiss broke the stillness of the night. The knife cut the air and plunged deep into her flesh. She let out a cry and lost her footing.

In and out of the darkness, she felt a familiar presence. She was feeling drained and exhausted. Sleep sounded more tempting to her. But she still managed to catch a scent. When she surfaced for the last time, she stared at the moonless sky. She vowed that if the goddess gave her a chance, she would avenge her family. She will avenge her pack.

With the promise made, she closed her eyes and embraced the darkness.

The prologue is up. I hope you guys like the changes. Do like it and comment what you think about it.