Salman Wants To Get Married

Seeing that his mother was in a good mood, Salman sat near her and said, 'Mother, I have an idea which should bring you much joy."

His mother answered eagerly, "My son, all that you give me makes me
happy. What is on your mind?"

"You know," he told her, "I have finished my studies and can afford to begin a family. I have decided to marry."

His mother's face brightened with a smile. "This is very good news! I have long awaited such a day," she told him. "How often I have wished you would marry one of your cousins. Praise be to Allah that you have made this decision before it is too late!." Salman exclaimed, "Before it's too late? What do you mean?" "Your cousin Maryam is now old enough to marry. Every day there is someone visiting her home, seeking her hand."

Salman sat silently for a moment and said, "Then why should we bother her suitors?"

"What do you mean, Salman?," asked his mother, dismayed.

"My cousin Maryam is not fit for me."

"Why not? No, my son, you're mistaken. I shall go and see about your engagement tomorrow," his mother told him.

Salman frowned and said, "No, mother. Please do not do such a thing. I will not agree to this." "When she becomes your fiancé, you will feel love for her. Put aside your fears. Maryam is beautiful, and she has a respectable job."

Salman disagreed, "No. This matter only concerns me."

Salman's mother thought for a moment and said, "If you dislike Maryam, then there's my brother's daughter. She is as beautiful as Maryam, and she has inherited a large sum of money from my brother.

"Mother, please think about this matter from my point of view. I need someone to share my life, not a business partner."

His mother became angry and sharply asked, "What's wrong with my niece? Why isn't she good enough to be your wife?"

Salman replied, "She is not a practicing Muslim. I want a Muslim wife."

Salman's mother laughed sarcastically and said, "You speak as if you were an angel who could only marry another angel. Why don't you stop saying such nonsense, my son? You are an educated young man, you should give up your impossible ideals."

"I am neither an angel, nor do I seek a saint for a wife. I am a Muslim believer looking for a girl who also believes in Islam." replied Salman.

Salman's mother told him, "I don't know any girls who share your ideals."

He said, "I know someone who measures up to my expectations."

Startled by this admission, Salman's mother asked, "You know someone? Who is she? Since when do you begin friendship with girls?"

Salman answered quickly, "I didn't mean that I know a girl personally, but I know of her." "I see," she said. "You have already chosen your wife. Who is this lucky girl?" "Mother, please be more understanding. I hope you will take my side and persuade father to agree with my choice."

This appeal to Salman's mother softened her, and she said, "I swear that I think only of your welfare. I'll help you. Tell me, what are this girl's qualifications?"

Salman told her, "Nothing matters except the religious aspect. She is Muslim, and wears complete hijab." "Oh, then she is uneducated!"

"No, she has a high school education and her religious knowledge is extensive."

Then his mother asked, "What family is she from? Do I know them?"

"She is from a good family known for their piety", Salman told her. "Of what use is a well-known family if a girl has no Islamic morals?" He silently beseeched Allaah to give him the patience to overcome his mother's resistance. "A happy marriage doesn't depend on fame or wealth. Happiness stems from spiritual nearness and mutual understanding." Then, in a different tone of voice his mother asked, "What does her father do for a living?" "He is a grocer," Salman replied.