Blue Moon : 15

Author's Note: Above in the media bar is a poor interpretation of Sage's bruise you will see in this chapter. Please Enjoy.
______________________________

Chapter Fifteen

So far there's been no sign of a freshwater stream or pond, and the saltwater's undrinkable. Again, I think of the my last Games, where I nearly died of dehydration.

"Better find some soon," says Finnick. "We need to be undercover when the others come hunting us tonight."

We. Us. Hunting. All right, maybe doubting Finnick would be a little premature. He's been helpful so far. If worse comes to worst, I can always escape him in his sleep. So I let the moment pass. And so does Finnick.

The absence of water intensifies my thirst. I keep a sharp eye out as we continue our trek upward, but with no luck. After about another mile, I can see an end to the tree line and assume we're reaching the crest of the hill. "Maybe we'll have better luck on the other side. Find a spring or something."

But there is no other side. I know this before anyone else, even though I am farthest from the top. My eyes catch on a funny, rippling square hanging like a warped pane of glass in the air. At first I think it's the glare from the sun or the heat shimmering up off the ground. But it's fixed in space, not shifting when I move. And that's when I connect the square with Wiress and Beetee and Katniss in the Training Center and realize what lies before us.

My warning cry is just reaching my lips when Peeta's knife swings out to slash away some vines.

There's a sharp zapping sound. For an instant, the trees are gone and I see open space over a short stretch of bare earth. Then Peeta's flung back from the force field, bringing Katniss and Finnick and Mags to the ground.

I rush over to where he lies, being the only one on my feet, and find him motionless in a web of vines. "Peeta?" There's a faint smell of singed hair.

I call his name again, giving him a little shake, but he's unresponsive. My fingers fumble across his lips, where there's no warm breath although moments ago he was panting. I press my ear against his chest, where I know I should hear the strong and steady beat of his heart.

Instead, I find silence.

"Peeta!" I scream. I shake him harder, even resort to slapping his face, but it's no use. His heart has failed. I am slapping emptiness.

Katniss stands centimeters away, her breathing ragged and her lips whispering a faint... "Peeta?"

Finnick props Mags against a tree and pushes me out of the way. "Let me." His fingers touch at Peeta's neck, run over the bones in his ribs and spine. Then he pinches Peeta's nostrils shut.

"No!" Katniss yells, hurling herself at Finnick. Finnick does what he has to defend himself, his hand about to connect roughly with her belly. I quickly jump in the way.

Finnick's hand comes up and hits me so hard, so squarely in the back that Katniss and I go flying into a nearby tree trunk. I'm stunned for a moment, by the pain, by trying to regain my wind, as I see Finnick close off Peeta's nose again.

From where Katniss sits, she pulls an arrow, whips the notch into place, and she's about to let it fly when she's stopped by the sight of Finnick kissing Peeta.

And it's so bizarre, even for Finnick, that I stay my hand. No, he's not kissing him. He's got Peeta's nose blocked off but his mouth tilted open, and he's blowing air into his lungs.

I can see this, I can actually see Peeta's chest rising and falling. Then Finnick unzips the top of Peeta's jumpsuit and begins to pump the spot over his heart with the heels of his hands. Now that I've gotten through my shock, I understand what he's trying to do.