Chapter 8

Diana dismissed Georgia as soon as they arrived at the large estate, and Georgia was shown to one of the damp attic rooms. Realizing that she was not going to be needed, she changed into some walking shoes, picked up her cell phone, in case Diana had a change of heart, and made her way to the large gardens at the back of the house.

If her time was up, as she suspected it was, she would have to make plans to move on to a new position. She enjoyed the Personal Assistant job, it gave her little time to think or dwell on the past, and coming away from the Maillers that might not be a bad thing.

Georgia made her way to a stone folly that was at the edge of a pond and found a cold stone bench. Sitting on it, she sighed as she looked around at the peacefulness. She missed her husband. He had been an honest man. He may not have been as charismatic or powerful as Ewan but he was true to her and she could trust every word he said.

But Ewan had never been dishonest with her she reasoned. He had told her from the beginning that their relationship could never leave the hotel room or be part of their everyday lives. Something in her had built their relationship into something it wasn't.

Yes, she was hurt at the realization that it was all true and that Ewan had been honest about it all. Her heart took a beating with the death of her husband and it would take a beating when she was no longer able to see Ewan and be a part of his life no matter how minute. But it was adding insult to injury that she had been dropped from the communication about James. Not just by Ewan but by Diana as well. She had given five years to them and had always been honest and straightforward as was possible with both, and the fact that they had both decided not to include her in the plan or the outcome was a direct hit and something she had not been expecting.

How long she sat there looking at the pond she couldn't say. She looked down at her phone which was silent and had been all day. Slowly, she rose, noting the lights and music coming across the water from the party that was spread out on the lawn. The reflection was beautiful and she stopped to admire it before she moved back towards the house.

The party had started and it was time for her to make herself scares. As she hit the edge of the lawn there was a sudden burst of light and a loud pop behind her. Fireworks. She quickly scanned the crowd looking for Ewan. Maybe he knew about them and had stayed away until they were finished.

Georgia thought back to their trip to New York when they had taken in a baseball game and the customary fireworks after the game had started. At first Ewan had been fine and enjoyed them but towards the end something in him had clicked and he had returned to the war. It was the only time she had ever seen him completely lose control.

Georgia continued to move around the edge of the crowd her eyes scanning the area until she finally found him in the middle of it all looking up like everyone else. He was holding a champagne glass but it was too dark and he was too far away for her to tell how he was handling it.

With a purpose she had never felt before, she headed right for him, not paying attention any of the odd looks she was getting. Not only was she the hired help she was not dressed properly for the party.

Georgia's heart was beating erratically and she had broken out in a cold sweat. She could not let Ewan lose control here in front of all of his peers. No one would look at him the same way again. She never took her eyes from him and as she reached him she noticed that he was sweating even though the night was cool and he was staring at the fireworks with a vacant glare.

"Mr. Mailler." Georgia reached up and grabbed the wine glass which he gave up without even knowing he was doing it. His gaze dropped to her at the sound of his name but he still wasn't there. She placed the glass on a passing tray and reached for his arm gripping it hard. "Mr. Mailler." He was still unresponsive and she had noticed a slight tremor run through him.