Chapter Eleven

🔺Dani having a panic attack and Carter calming her down

*Travis*

  "You alright, son?"

  "Uh...Yeah," I muttered when I saw the diner owner sitting across from me.

  "You care for her," he stats and I grumble tossing money on the table stalking out of the diner.

  "Travis," Daniel yells when I answer my phone.

  "What," I sigh leaning against my truck.

  "Mara," he says panicked. "She's missing."

  "What do you mea..."

  "STOP!"

  "Shit," I jerking towards the bookshop. "Find her, I have to go."

 "What wh..." I cut the call and rush in the store.

  "M-m-make it s-s-stop," someone was sobbing and I walked over to the last row of shelves.

  "Dani," Kylie was there crouched in front of her. "Baby calm down. Breathe."

 "What's going on?" I asked just as Dani screamed again.

  "I don't know," Kylie stressed. "Was fine on moment the next she was screaming and crying. I'm gonna call Zane."

  Standing there for a few minutes I listened to Dani crying "Stop, No more".

  "Why aren't you helping her?" a boy asked glaring at me.

  "What?"

  "Whatever," he mutter walking over to Dani and crouched down in front of her  wrapping his arms around her while she struggled.

  "No, l-l-let g-g-go." Dani cried trying to push him away.

  "Shh," the kid whispers. "Breathe princess. Its ok, breathe."

  Soon Dani starts to calm down and she clutches to the boys shirts. "Don't leave me, Car."

  "Wouldn't dream of it," the kid sighs sitting beside her. I smiled watching them and headed over to Kylie.

  "She ok now," I sighed.

  "How did..."

  "I didn't touch her," I sighed. "I guess the kids a school friend he's with her right now."

  "Thank god," she mumbled. "I don't know what to do. When she starts having them no one can get close to her besides Kyler and he's with Zane."

  "Mama," Dani says, looking over I see the boy giving her a piggyback right. "Can we go get ice cream?"

  "Yeah sweetie," Kylie smiles. "Have fun."

  "Ok," she smiles and they walk down the sidewalk.

 "I should get back to the hospital," I mumble. "Talk to you later."

*Dani*

  "Car?" I ask looking up at him.

  "Yeah," he smiles up at me.

  "Why do you hang out with me and not the kids in your class?" I asked curious taking at bite of my ice cream.

  "Because," he shrugged grinning. "I like hanging out with you, your different."

  "How so?"

  "I don't know how to explain it," he smiles taking our trash and throwing it away. "Wanna tell me why you had a panic attack."

   "Not really," I mumbled following him.

  "Alright," he sighed. "Let's go to our spot."

  "Our spot?"

  "Our spot," he smiles and he carried me to wherever it is he was going. "I built it with my dad, but he's never around so this is officially our spot."

  "It's pretty," I said in awe staring at the tree house. "How did you find this place?"

  "My parents met here," he shrugged sitting down under the tree. "And I feel close to my mom."

  "What happened to your mom?" I asked sitting between his legs staring up through the branches.

  "She died," he sighed and I felt his chin on my head. "One day she didn't come home."

  "I'm sorry," I mumbled.

  "Yeah," he chuckled. "At least you have your family."

 "And my best friend," I smiled tilting my head to see his face. "Right?"

  "Right," he laughs. "We should probably head back before the whole town starts looking for us."

  "Yeah," I sighed sadly dusting my pants off.

  "Hey," he said pulling my chin up since he was taller than me. "Anytime you need space or you need a quiet place read you can come here."

  "Thanks," I smiled walking behind him and hopping on his back.

*Mara*

  "Why are you helping me?" I asked Miles.

  "Because," he sighed placing a couple of bags on the couch. "A child should never grow up without their mother."

  "You sound like you lost someone you care about,"

  "I did," he grumbled looking down at his phone. "You should be safe here for a couple of days. I'll be back as soon as I can."

  "Thank you," I smiled watching him drive off.

  Later that night after I had looked through the house I laid down on the bed and groan, "Travis is going to kill me when he finds out I'm gone."

  I jump awake from a thud and I glanced at the clock 2:56 a.m. hearing another thud ad grumbling I start to panic and grab the pillow before standing beside the door. A few minutes later someone enters the room and I smash the pillow into there head before running as fast as I could down the hall before dashing into the bathroom to hide.

  "Marissa," the man says pounding on the door. "Open up it Mathew, Kylie cousin."

  Opening the door a peek I see a feather cover Mathew. "What the hell?" I whisper yelled.

  "Hello to you too," he grumbles. "You do realize if I was going to kill you a pillow would not have saved you."

  "Shut it," I groan slowly making my way to the kitchen. "Thanks to you I'm in pain."

  "Sorry," he mumbled handing me a bottle. "Take two, it'll help."

  "How did you find me?" I asked after taking the meds.

  "Phone," he sighed picking feathers out of his hair. "Eddie and Uncle K know your here too."

  "Shit," I panic. "Did you tell Travis"

  "No," He sighed. "Not yet anyway." 

  "Don't tell him," I plead. "I'm trying to keep him and everyone else alive."

  "By running, that never works you know."

  "I'm going back to bed," I groan making my way back to the bedroom.