Chapter 13

22 March 2044

Kyle stood on the bridge of the Grant and looked at the crew. The low murmur and hum of activity was in sharp contrast to the intensity of the moment.

The Sophocles and the other two sleds had just dropped two cruisers, the Grant and the Sun Tzu, and five scooters. The next run would bring in the Berlin and ten more scooters. The last trip would bring in fifteen final scooters; all of them set up as giant mobile railguns. Those experimental weapons would have to run and hide after the engagement got underway, but with three massive projectiles each, it was hoped that they would pack a nice punch.

Kyle felt the bump of the Sophocles pulling away and heard the ion engines being brought online.

Captain McKendree stepped into his field of vision. “We are set, General. Looks like both cruisers engines came online as planned, and the scooters are taking up defensive position. In another few minutes we will see if we were noticed by the Iltia’cor.”

The initial insertion of the Earth forces was the most questionable moment in this whole mission. The plan was to warp in far enough out that the Iltia’cor wouldn’t pick up on the power surge and the Earth forces would have time to prepare themselves for the assault.

“Sounds like things are going well, Captain,” Kyle said looking at the data screen to his right.  “How did undocking go?”

“No hitches, sir. Hopefully this will be a smooth operation.”

“Practice makes perfect. But remember what Ike said.”

McKendree smiled as he quoted Eisenhower. “In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.”

“I always preferred ‘Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power’,” Kyle chuckled.

“I hope our brains are better this day,” McKendree said.

“They are, and we have the planning this day as well,” Kyle stated.

Kyle ran through the day’s operation in his mind. He was with the strike team at Kortit, and if everything was going as planned, there were other cruisers and scooters being put in place at three other worlds.  Two of the worlds, Terti and Fi’cala, were highly strategic, supplying many raw materials and holding manufacturing facilities. Kortit was the Hedali home world, and there were some sentimental reasons for picking it as the third target. The fourth planet, Cyrum, was chosen specifically because it was the least important.

Kyle had decided that he would throw a puzzle at the Iltia’cor. Let them try to figure out why it was chosen.

“Scouts are in position sir, no reports of enemy activity,” a young officer informed McKendree.

“I think I will go take a rest, Captain,” Kyle said as he stepped away from the data station.

“Aye, General, if it gets busy, you’ll know,” McKendree said while scanning the communications screen.

Kyle had never met McKendree before he was given this command, but he liked him instantly. McKendree not only knew the rules and procedures of military command, he also knew when to disregard them and to what level. It is a hard line to walk to be guided by the rules and not controlled by them. Some commanders never learn it and others take it too far and lose the focus of discipline.

Kyle’s resting cabin was two doors from the bridge and had a bed, a toilet and a desk with two data displays. Kyle flopped down on the bed as the door shut and closed his eyes. If Williams was right, the Iltia’cor cruisers would be ripped apart in the initial engagement. The giant railguns would work, he just knew they would.