Chapter 8

John didn't ask any questions on the way back to the treehouse. He was a people person and he knew they were in a bad mood just by their body language. He also heard them yelling at their guest. So he knew better than to ask them what happened. He could just tell it didn't go well.

But he was curious.

"So, how's your aunt, Kyle?" he asked with a shit-eating grin. Their combined groans told him all he needed to know, and he chuckled quietly.

The car stopped at the base of the trunk, next to the Jungle Couple's deer steeds, who sauntered up to the car to give it a sniff. They jumped out of the car, so they could greet their steeds. Julie was in the middle of stroking her steed's muzzle when something caught her eye.

While Kyle struggled to stay upright, she walked over to the object, which turned out to be more than one object. She knelt to get a better look at the four arrows either sticking out of the ground or laying on it. She looked back at the treehouse. Judging by their angle, that's where they had to come from. And the only thing she could imagine was,

"Kimi!"

Of all the things to be concerned about on the island—deadly creatures, evil magicians, her boyfriend's future, and an unforeseeable future due to climate change—she was most concerned about the teenager that she considered to be like her sister, residing in her treehouse.

Luckily, when she emerged after a delay of a couple seconds, she let out a relieved sigh once she saw that she was okay but carrying a bow and quiver. And she was just as concerned and scared as Julie was.

"Kimi, stay there!" Julie called. "We'll be up there in a minute!" Kyle immediately kicked his shoes and socks off and climbed up the rope ladder. Julie followed not long after, and so did John, mainly carrying Kyle's discarded shoes and socks.

"Kimi, what happened?" Kyle asked.

"Someone came into the clearing while you were gone!" she replied, pointing to the east in the direction of the arrows. "I told them to leave, but they wouldn't stop! They just moved like zombies, like—" She mimicked the movements of a zombie, right down to the outstretched arms, eyes kinda rolled back, and groaning. "I had to shoot them before they left."

"I found four arrows," said Julie. "You shot them?"

"Yes," Kimi nodded. John had already gone inside to check around. Kyle wasn't far behind.

"Why didn't you try to call us?" Julie asked.

"I was scared," said Kimi.

Julie did not get mad, but she hugged Kimi. "It's okay," she said. "You chased them off, that's important. And thanks for telling us."

"Everything's alright," said John.

"Oh, wait!" Kimi said. "Tim called! He said Kame invited that Pua bloke to the seaside village later tonight. He wanted you and Kyle to go."

"I'll definitely go. Kyle! Kyle?"

Kyle had already taken his clothes off, revealing the loincloth he was still wearing under his modern outfit. Julie was prompted to also remove her clothes, showing that she was still in her jungle outfit, too. But most importantly, he didn't look happy. "Kyle, I'm really sorry if I embarrassed you in front of your aunt," she said softly. "I just want what's best for you."

"No, for you," he said. "Were you even thinking about me?"

"In a way, yes," she replied. "But... are you really thinking about going back? Sorry. I'm selfish, I know. I just like it here, and—"

"I haven't decided yet," he replied. His wish to go back to Canada to see his friends and family conflicted with the desire to stay in the home he made for himself, with his new family, friends and the woman he loved. Said women cupped his cheek, moved closer to him and held him close to her. He also held her to let them have their wordless conversation.