Part 5

Ashlyn

Jane takes Mateo's file from my stack. "I've been thinking about our new client," she says as she slides his folder back into her daily slot. "I think I need you on the new case. He's rehabbing a knee injury and that's your specialty. I think you can use the new taping technique from the conference last month." She pulls out the clean, new file and sets it in my stack.

"Sure." I agree, but I'm a little disappointed that I'm not going to get to push Mateo. As if thinking his name summoned him, he pushes through the office door and heads over to the treadmill. Most of our clients get the hang of the routine and don't need much supervision after a few weeks. Mateo is one of those clients. I'm a little irritated that Jane hasn't called him on his lack of effort or added more exercises to push him along. I was looking forward to restructuring his treatment plan.

I'm waiting for my third client of the day, looking through a few other files when Mateo gets off the treadmill and makes his way over. "So should I just keep going through with my usual plan or are you going to switch things up?" He sounds irritable like just having to be anywhere near me pisses him off.

"Change of plans. Jane is back on your case." My words are blunt and straight to the point. I can practically feel the grumpiness rolling off of him. I go back to reviewing the file in front of me.

"Why? Did you ask to be removed or something?" He shifts his feet, looking unsure all of a sudden. It's very different from his hard-ass attitude in our previous encounters.

"No." I don't even bother looking up. He still doesn't move.

"So...you won't be working with me?"

I look up at him slowly, "I'm getting slightly concerned you might have a traumatic brain injury." His lips twitch with a smile but he doesn't let it stretch very far across his face.

"I guess my day just got better." He uses a towel to wipe his forehead.

"It must be your luck day." I'm back to pretending to be overly interested in the folder in front of me. Mateo puts me on edge. He has a big presence even though he's insecure right now. It makes me wonder what he might have been like before the injury. Marines always carry themselves with purpose, but there's something about his determination not to let me in that makes me want to break the wall down even more.

"I wouldn't say that," he says under his breath as he heads to the bike. I watch him try to get on it, my body perched at the edge of my chair. I've seen many men struggle with their new limitations, but watching him do it stings my heart. He's just so defeated. He finally gets his foot into the stirrup but then has to stop and massage his thigh for a minute. I look over at Jane, but she's helping another client. It's not unusual that we have more than one client at a time when they are further along in their recovery and don't need constant supervision.

I try to focus on the folder in front of me, but my eyes keep rising up to where Mateo is. If I were him I'd be feeling frustrated too. Jane should be showing him how to set the bike up for what's best for his body and the limited movement he has in that leg. Needless to say, my afternoon is frustrating and thought provoking. I want to help him, but I'm not going to be able to do it within these walls. He is not my patient.

After an hour, Mateo is covered in sweat. He uses the towel again to wipe it from his face, but it does nothing to clear the smoking hot look of a man after physical work from his face. He holds his water bottle up and lets the cold fluid fall into his mouth. I swallow slowly, lost in the erotic image that will definitely be making an appearance in my dreams tonight. I feel my cheeks flush at the thought. He's been visiting me in the dark ever since I first met him. The last two nights have been pretty intense. If only he didn't hate me in real life.

Mateo tucks the bottle into his small bag and makes his way past my desk. He smells purely male, the clean scent of his body wash mixing with the sweat of his exertion. It's sexy as sin and my thoughts float off to a place I only visit at night, when his strong arms are around me and I'm freely touching each hard plane of his chest. I squeeze my legs together and scold myself for the inappropriate thoughts, but it's been a long time since I got that far with someone. I'm not the kind of girl that sleeps around and since I've been here, none of my dates have made it past date number two.

"Ashlyn," a deep male voice calls and my head snaps up in the direction of the door. "I'll see you tomorrow." Mateo doesn't smile when he says it. I get the feeling I should feel honored to have him say anything to me at all. I haven't heard him talking to anyone at all today and that's not typical for a place full of men used to being a part of a team. I nod my head in answer and watch as he pushes open the door and walks out of my day...but certainly not out of my thoughts.

***Who's feeling the connection? I'm warming it up just a little....