An Assembly at Burley Park

Amanda sighed as she looked at the creamy-white gown, with layers of thin muslin trimmed with lace. The sleeves were short, the shoulders nearly bare. She planned to wear a blue ribbon woven through the lace at the neck, to highlight the blue of her eyes. Her smile slowly grew until she was beaming, with rosy cheeks, at her reflection in the mirror. She held the dress up again and twirled. Only a few hours until the dance!

Lady Ellsworth had generously offered to host an assembly for the best families in the county. Although she'd never given a great deal of attention to the vicar's daughters, Amanda felt she must have risen somewhat in her estimation. Lady Ellsworth was cordial enough with Father—cooly amused by mother and her French "airs"—but never really fond of the girls. Rachel seemed to be her least favorite, even though she and John had been nursery pals, growing up running between Burley and the vicarage nearly every day. Amanda always wondered what it was that Lady Ellsworth didn't like about Rachel—for the dislike was plain—but she feared it was just the lady's way to balance the distinct regard from John that was a little too plain.

The dance, however, was not specifically in honor of her and Dabney. It would honor only the end end of Dabney's visit, as both he and his cousins the Lloyds were preparing to leave next week. Dabney's new team was groomed and ready, his new phaeton to be delivered next Monday.

Then she would somehow have to bear his separation—but only for three weeks. He would return with his family come September, and the engagement ball would take place three weeks later. After the settlement was reached, they would wait four months, then be married in January. To be married in her own parish, by her own father! To be married before either Marian or Rachel! She nearly felt dizzy at the prospect. Sometimes she wondered if she were too young—if it all wasn't so rushed—but she forgot all her doubts when she was with Dabney. His gentlemanly attentions and lingering caresses filled her with an impatience that was fearful. Waiting was out of the question!

She twirled again in front of the mirror. She had prayed morning and night, thanking the Lord for the goodness of her fiance's heart, the generosity of her father in paying for gowns and bridal trousseaus, and the blessing of horses born with such good legs and stamina that people such as Dabney—and many others he had recommended—were now coming to buy them up, even before they were born! It felt too good to be so blessed.

"Amanda, you'll wrinkle your gown, the way you crush it in your arms like that," Rachel said as she came in the room. Amanda quickly smoothed it again and hung it back in the wardrobe.

"What's that you have?" she asked, noticing a package in Rachel's hands.

"Betsy just brought this up. I believe they are your new gloves."

"Oh," Amanda squealed with joy, snatching the paper up and untying the string. Inside were long, creamy silk gloves. She pulled them on and they reached past her elbows.

"Are these the ones Maman ordered from London?" Rachel asked.

"Yes, they are from Madame Lanchester," Amanda said, noting how Rachel was trying very hard to keep the note of envy out of her voice.

"Your white gloves are not nice enough?"

"Oh, they are fine, but this creamy color will match my gown better."

"And you have another gown ordered?"

"Also from London. I do so love the Blakeney's shop in York, seeing that they make ball gowns so delightfully well, but Maman would not think that was nice enough."

"It is lucky that we have so many horses to sell. Your wedding costs are astronomical!"

Amanda laughed lightly. "Yours will be too, for I'm sure Maman will want to do things just as nicely for you!"