17

Dedicated to @Johannahefer for winning the Prize Bundle 1 in the Wattpad Block Party hosted by @KellyAnneBlount! Congratulations, Johanna! Thanks everyone who participated! :)

*

If there was a zombie apocalypse, I better make sure I had a room full of canned goods.

I had no idea how to cook.

I could boil water.

That counts, right?

I was planning on cooking chicken noodle soup for Ruth since it was her favorite and she was still sick, but when I saw that there were more than three ingredients in the recipe I found on the internet, I gave up.

Phoning the restaurant in town, I ordered soup, informing them that I'd pick it up after school.

When my eyes darted on my desk, my breath stopped for a moment. Picking up the paper, I flipped it so I could read the note behind it.

Forgive me. There's darkness inside of me. And I won't let it consume your light. –NH

Memories from last night bombarded my mind, evoking several emotions. Giddiness from his note and sketch. Pleasure. Sorrow. I couldn't forget the burning in his eyes.

Anger was like a boiling pot of emotions—disappointments, frustrations, sorrows, helplessness. When his anger finally spilled out, I was merely there to take the brunt of it.

Sometimes we lashed out at the people who wanted to give us comfort. To hide our vulnerability, to hide our weakness.

But I learned that to show the vulnerable side of us is a sign of strength. How could it not be? When it is what we hide most, what we protect from the eyes of people who would hurt, condemn or take advantage.

Revealing it to others is a sign that we accept ourselves, our flaws and all the imperfection of us, and however much they attack it, we will not falter. Because we already learned to love and accept ourselves for what we are. And what we aren't.

It was okay not to be perfect. It was okay not to be strong sometimes, it was okay to let others in.

And maybe someday Noah would let me in.

But there was no chance of that today as I didn't see him in any of our classes.

Did he... leave town?

"Ruth looked really sick when I went to see her last night," Magdalene began, fidgeting with her sweater before pressing her books to cover her generous chest.

She was very self-conscious about it and often wore huge sweaters or scarves for cover.

I met Mag through Ruth and I couldn't have been happier to have both as my close friends. Although the two were opposites of each other, they had hit it off since elementary.