3 []Vanish[]

She stared back at me with knowing eyes. She knew what was going to happen. And I did too. I quickly rinsed off my hands in the sink, and did my best to forget, forget this nightmare, forget the inevitable. And for a little while it worked, but it's impossible to forget the fact that I was never going to see my mom again. And that horrified me.

"Echo, go to your room. Esadeth and I need to talk." Echo was obedient, listening to moms serious tone, and within a few seconds he disappeared up the winding staircase. I took shaky, slow steps towards the couch. I was already on the verge of falling apart altogether. That was when mom spoke.

"I don't really know how to begin, or how to say this...I just- maybe- I-I don't want you to be scared. Not for me. Not for yourself. I just want you to know that I love you and I want you to know that no matter what happens I will continue loving you until the end of time. You protect Echo. You keep each other safe. Do it for me. Regardless of how dangerous I am in the future, regardless of who I may harm; you keep your brother safe...And I-I'll always be with you." She said softly, her voice cracking at the end as she broke down in tears. And with her tears, came mine.

She wrapped her arms around me and held me as we both cried. "I love you mommy." I croaked, desperately holding onto my mom. I didn't want to let go. I wanted to stay in her arms forever. I wanted her to stay. I wasn't ready for my mom to leave.

"I know your strong Esa; just be strong for me one more time."

Then suddenly, my mother collapsed before my very eyes and clutched onto her stomach as she fell to the floor. "Mom!" I screamed, helping her stand as she waved a dismissive hand my way. "I'm okay. It's just a stomach ache that's all." She said as she strained to stand again.

"I need you to go upstairs. Now. Go to Echo and be that incredible big sister you are. We'll wait for dad, hmm? And then we'll um- we'll-" She didn't have to finish her sentence for me to know exactly what she meant.

And with tears in my eyes, daring to fall out at any second, my mom kissed me on the forehead and I made my way up the looming stairs to my little brothers room. We'll wait for dad.

[]-[]-[]-[]

Echo. He's a pain. But any other older sister has to admit it, you love your little sibling. No matter how much of a pain they are. And since times are changing, I'm giving him a chance to change too. "What's the deal. I'm not five you can tell me." My previous conversation with mom explodes into the captivities of my mind. I'm left speechless. "You protect Echo." I take a breath. I don't tell him. I'm protecting him that way. "Finish your homework." He gives me a glare that fills my body with guilt. I watch anxiously as his hand guides his pencil over his homework.

He's oblivious.

[]-[]-[]-[]

Without a word I began preparing. I shoved two jackets into both sleeping bags, a blanket, two water containers, a small bag to hold the items when we use the bags to sleep, a first aid kit in mine and bags that I'll fill with food later. "Esadeth what are yo-" I hear a sound of collapsing downstairs. Mom. I could feel tears daring to fall once again. "What was that?" Echo whispers. I ignored him and flew down the stairs.

"Mom?" I shout, voice cracking with worry. "Es-esadeth.." I found her leaning against the countertop, crippling onto the floor. "Mom!" I fell to the the kitchen floor. "No!" She says holding her hand up to me. "Don't. It was just a headache." I backed up and look worriedly. "Esadeth?" I turned to see Echo on the stairs. "Go upstairs." I demand, failing to hide the fact I'm about to cry. He does what I say, knowing the circumstances.

Now all I could do was wait.

[]-[]-[]-[]

4'o clock.

I remember the time exactly. The anxiety of watching and waiting each second turn to minutes, minutes turn to half hours, half hours turn to hours until the door unlocked and creeped open. My dad walked in. He saw my mouth open, ready to say something and held up a hand. Our meeting green eyes seemed to say it all. I know. "I-I.. I'll get uh.. I'll get Echo.." I stutter.  When I barrel into the room he's already waiting there. "Dad's home?" I nod and offer my hand. He passes by leaving me standing in shock. As if on cue an icy breeze finds its way inside. I close the door and head down after him.

We all gather on the couch downstairs as my mother delicately explains. How it happens. She tells us the process and when to be alarmed, and when what's taken over isn't her anymore.

"If it were my choice, I would've never wanted you two to go through this. Never." Those words did it for Echo. "M-M-mommmm!" He cried as he collapsed into her lap and she stroked him quietly and tried to soothe him. I watch as tears rolled down her face. Each one seemed to crush my heart more and more. I couldn't do it, I couldn't handle all the heart wrenching pain I felt placed upon my shoulders; if anything now was the time to break. And I did. I walked over quietly at first; hugging both of them and silently crying until I choked on my own sobs. Soon my dad joined in and we all sat in a heaping pile of mess and tears and broken hearts.

[]-[]-[]-[]

Night. It was terrible. My brain forced every unwanted thought into my head. It was as if my brain was creating a nightmare inside of my mind and I could see it clearly even though my eyes were wide open. In fact I was too scared to close my eyes, even though they stung and felt heavy from crying. When my door creaked open I flew up and threw off my covers preparing for the worst. But it was only Echo. Only Echo. I knew why he was here. He knew too, he didn't wanna say it. I didn't make him. I patted the empty spot on the mattress next to me and he moved around the fallen covers. That's when another thing managed to hit me. As his tiny body let out fragile hot breaths on the verge of tears I knew. He is my responsibility now. I have to take care of him.

Of course I have my dad but, even he won't be here forever. And he wasn't. I was about to drift into sleep when I heard it. A shriek. Echo bolted up before me. "Th-that was dad..." He whispered urgently. I threw off the covers and rushed to the closet, I picked up the sleeping bags and tossed him one. Quickly I nabbed two sweaters and threw one to him to put on. "We need to go now." I whispered. I grabbed my phone slipped on some shoes and rushed Echo down the stairs. I heard a lamp topple and crash and a loud hissing.

I quickly ran into Echo's room, grabbed his phone, sneakers, journal and beanie. When I walked out his room my parents door swung open.  And my zombified mother. No, that wasn't my mother. That was the virus. That was the monstrous infection that took hold of my mom's fragile, loving, compassionate soul and had devoured my father.

I had frozen there watching her stalk towards me, her deathly pale skin, her mouth and hands stained with blood, hands that used to hold me and mouth that used to kiss me goodnight, gone. Now this horrible thing has gripped her and taken its place. I could feel a wet, crystal orb navigate it's way down my face. Now she's really gone.

"Esadeth!" Echo shouted. I snapped out of it. "Here!" I yelled tossing his items down the stairs wrapped in his beanie. I hustled down the stairs, quickly wiping my eyes as our monster of a mother toppled over the banister causing Echo to scream. I quickly pulled my shoes all the way on and opened the door. "Go, hurry!" I yelled. I sprinted for the island desperately searching for the keys to the car.

When I turned to rush for the door her face haunted me. Instinctively I shoved her away with tears in my eyes and sprinted out the door trying to escape the horror of my house. I unlocked the door and screamed. "GET IN THE CAR WE'RE GOING NOW!"

While I ran from the house the terrible faces of my parents loomed over me. I wasn't going to let that happen to anyone else that I love. I was going to protect my little brother with all of my power. I wasn't going to let that disease take over Echo too.

No one else was going to give up to this virus.

No more. It's going to end. Starting with us. With me.

And just like that, my parents were gone. And we vanished.