Chapter 6 - The Ring

As my eyes fill with tears, Haymitch and Katniss approach me with broad smiles on their faces. I stand still, frozen in shock and elation. Never... ever did I think that I would see them again.

Maybe this isn't real, maybe this is just a dream...

I pinch my cheek hard and yelp a little. The pain made it clear, they're here.

"Prim." As Katniss says my name, I gasp. Her voice is in a tiny whisper, but it seems so loud that it vibrates through me, waking me up from my almost eternal, depressive state. I step forward and slowly hug her, afraid that she will vanish once again in my arms. I don't want to let her go again. I don't want someone to take her away and leave me stranded again.

She was never really gone, though.

I release us from the embrace first and my eyes run over her body, checking her for any injuries. She appears to be unharmed, not even a little scratch.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" I ask frantically.

Katniss chuckles and shakes her head. "I didn't even know I was there until they were letting me out. I guess they put me under."

"Yea we were all on something that puts you in a state that resembles a coma, but you're still conscious," Haymitch adds.

As Haymitch speaks, I glance quickly over the amount of people here. I'm so overjoyed that I forget that there's anyone else in the room. "You've met Willow, right?"

"She's beautiful." Katniss glances back at Cato, who isn't paying attention. He's giving me my time, but it's quite obvious that he still wants to go out on this date.

"Um, well are you hungry? Do you need a shower? Anything at all, I can get it for you!" This is such a monumental moment. I don't want to rush through this to leave for a date.

I guess I'm mostly just afraid that if I leave, when I come back, they won't be here anymore.

Katniss turns and takes hold of Willow again. "She's all I need for right now. I heard you're supposed to be going and having some fun. Go ahead, go out, have some fun. I'll take care of her. I think all of us will."

I look around the room and everyone else nods.

The thing is that I don't wanna leave. Katniss just got back. I can't just abandon her because I want to go out on a date. This can wait.

She senses my hesitation, and shakes her head"Prim, go. Seriously, I'll be here when you get back."

I stare at Katniss, both of us knowing that the statement she just made isn't one-hundred percent true. She could be gone in a heartbeat. But, I guess Snow proved that he has something that resembles a heart and wouldn't just take her away again, or hurt her.

One night wouldn't hurt, and Cato really wants this.

"Alright, fine. Hopefully we won't be gone long." Cato smiles and stands to take my hand. He starts to pull me away before I can even say goodbye.

It makes me smile to know that I can leave without saying goodbye and know that it won't be the last goodbye I give to any of those people in that room.