The Collision

Tyler never used both hands while driving, a complaint everyone he'd ever driven had since he first got behind the wheel. Technically, he knew that the safest way to drive was to have his hands at ten and two, but Tyler had never been a fan of doing things the safe way. He figured life was short and he was going to live his to the fullest, so as he sped down the coastal highway towards his sister's college, one elbow rested on the open window ledge, his fingers lightly guiding the wheel while his other hand fiddled with his phone over the center console, trying to find exactly the right song to play.

When he had first asked his parents if he could go on this road trip, they had been a bit wary of the idea. Of course, they had no problem with him visiting Jessamine while she was away at school, but they thought flying in might be safer, or at least going with a friend. But his best friend, Lucy, was swamped with her work as the chief photo editor of the school paper and this was the only weekend that Tyler had free before swimming season started again. Once it did, he would barely have time to sleep, let alone see his sister. Besides, Tyler loved driving alone, so he suggested that they think of it as an opportunity for him to learn more about a college to which he was applying and they let him go.

His parents knew that was absolute bullshit, but they figured it was sweet that he was so eager to see the sister who hadn't been home in six weeks, so they didn't put up too much of a fight.

Thus, after a few luxurious hours of driving with the windows down, he pulled into the visitor's parking lot of the apartment complex where Jessamine resided while at school, having successfully navigated himself there using the address she'd texted him the day before. Keeping his promise to his parents, he sent them a quick text to let them know he'd arrived safely after he turned off the engine before finding the message thread which connected him to his sister.

I'm here!

It took her two minutes to respond.

Already?! You weren't supposed to arrive for another hour.

He grinned at the response. There was a chance that he hadn't exactly obeyed the speed limits on the highway.

What can I say, I like to go fast.

He imagined her rolling her eyes as she typed back her response.

Clearly. Now come up here and give me a hug.

Grinning, Tyler pushed open the driver's side door and stuffed his phone in the front pocket of his jeans before walking to the back to get his duffel bag and locking the car as he made his way up the flight of stairs to Jessamine's apartment, as instructed.

She was standing in the doorway when he stepped onto the landing and she threw her arms around his neck before he had a chance to set his bags down, squeezing him tight and pressing a kiss to his cheek when she pulled away.

"It's good to see you, baby bro," Jessamine grinned. "I've missed you."

He probably didn't realize the genuineness behind those words. Tyler and Jessamine had always been close, but being away from home made her realize how much she loved her baby brother. Though, looking at him now, in all his eighteen-year-old glory, it was difficult to still describe him as a baby. At six feet two inches tall, he towered over her, the long, lean muscles he'd developed from years of competitive swimming making him look quite commanding, even when he was just standing on her front doorstep.

"Missed you too, sis," Tyler smiled widely, reaching down to pick up the bag he'd let slide off his shoulder when he hugged her and following her into her apartment. "Nice place."