five

"Florence, please!"

"I can't, I have to work on my calc homework and Hank told me I should practice-"

"Florence, it's Saturday!"

"But-"

"You'll be gone for three hours. Maybe four. Nothing will happen if you lose a bit of time in your day."

"Jubilee,"

"Come on! You're such a nerd!"

"Ok, fine. I don't even know why you want me to come in the first place, you know I'll just be a... seventh wheeler."

"No, because I'll force you to interact. Now come on, grab some money and, oh, you should change your shirt."

"Whats wrong with this one?"

"Nothing, it's just boring. You should spice up your look."

Florence tilted her head, and Jubilee walked to her dresser, rummaging through it.

"I don't need to spice up any-"

"Here, wear this." She said, interrupting her by throwing a shirt her.

"Um,"
Jubilee was out the door before Florence could even begin, she heard her in the hallway.

"Hurry up! We'll be waiting in the parlor!"

Florence sighed and sat for a minute. She grabbed the shirt from her lap, holding it up in front of her. It was a white ringer tee with red sleeves and neck hem. In the middle was a graphic of a red rose, its stem full of thorns. It had been a gift from Lucas, who she remembered even from a young age to have great fashion taste. She figured Jubilee would burn her with fireworks if she didn't wear it, so she changed into it quickly and went to the parlor.

-

"Geez, how long does it take you to get ready? We're going to the mall, not a runway show."

"Peter, you blow dry your hair every morning and you're wearing a holographic jacket."

Ororo and Jubilee shouted various comments further humiliating Peter, and the group trekked down to the parking garage.
They had won privileges of a car, but only if "everyone was wearing their seat belts and being mature, responsible young adults."

The group piled in, Ororo in the drivers seat, because she had just gotten her license. Peter quicksilvered to the passenger seat, and Kurt, Jubilee, Jean and Scott in the backseat.
Since it had normally been six members, there was no more space for a seventh.

"Well, I don't fit, looks like I can't go. Sorry guys, have fun, I'll-"

"Florence, shut up. This only means someone's going to have someone on their lap." Jubilee said firmly.

Florence sighed in defeat at her last attempt to escape. She climbed in with the rest of them, Kurt smooshed all the way to the top of the convertible's door.

"Hey Florence, why don't you sit on Scott's-"

"Kurt! Sit on my lap!" Florence cut Jean off, and Kurt bamfed on top of her. She felt her tolerance dissipating, and she was glad Kurt blocked her face from everyone. Her eyes daggers, and Kurt looked behind at her and smiled.

The jokes had started innocent enough. Small comments that could be interpreted in different ways, but then they became more specific. Slowly, the whole group had began to notice the brief and awkward interactions between Florence and Scott, which Jubilee had called "basic love-hate crush beginnings". One by one.