L

They sent the transmission to the First Order that night, alerting them that I was in the possession of the Resistance and requesting a meeting in exchange for my return. The meeting was to be held on a neutral planet, so neither side would have to give up their location for the exchange to take place.

Poe and I exchanged a nervous glance at the announcement of the transmission.

The night passed slowly, most people unable to sleep and choosing instead to pace around as we waited a response.

Poe, Rey, Finn and I occupied a corner of the room, jumping every time the transmission machine made the slightest of noises, only to slowly relax when we were informed that it was nothing.

The transmission controls worker, a young man whose name I learned was Hugh, sat stiffly in his chair, headphones on as he carefully watched the machine for any sign of an incoming message.

Those who had learned who I was seemed to be on edge around me. I received several glares from people passing by. But Poe no longer seemed nervous around me, and for some reason that made me happy. Maybe I just hated being hated by everyone. Poe's trust had started to spread to his friends. Rey seemed friendly enough, giving me a reassuring smile every so often, and Finn just seemed glad that I no longer called him "the traitor."

I sat down beside Poe on the floor. Rey and Finn remained standing, although they seemed to sway on their feet. I had no idea what time it was, but I knew it was far past midnight. A few hours had passed since the initial transmission was sent, and our original enthusiasm for receiving a response was beginning to ebb. I leaned against Poe slightly, my eyes fixed on Hugh and his transmission board.

I began to doze. I lapsed in and out of consciousness, the buzz of the room making it hard to stay awake.

The sound of Rey's voice finally woke me up. She was whispering, but it was harsh enough for me to hear. I kept my eyes shut as I listened, feigning sleep.

"How many times in the past do you think that she has tried to kill you?"

"Probably a lot. But you should listen to her talk sometime. She's smart, Rey. And I don't think she's all bad. She said something about how troopers put their own opinions aside and do what they're told." Poe's whisper was softer. As he spoke, I became acutely aware that my head was resting comfortably on his shoulder and what felt like his jacket was draped across me.

"That's true." Finn chimed in quietly. "They do what they're told. They don't have a choice."

"You had a choice." Rey fired back.

"I created a choice." Finn defended. "I don't think everyone in the trooper program realizes that doing that is even possible. Otherwise they would be deserting left and right."

"And she really cares about Ren." Poe put in. "It's almost weird. She sees him as a person, not as this big almighty leader of the Order."

"I'm not sure we should be so quick to trust her." Rey mused. "She only just arrived."

I shifted slightly, alerting them that I was waking up. Their whispers fell away.

My sleepy gaze met Poe's, the close proximity of our faces startling me. I moved away from him, mumbling an apology. I offered him his jacket back, but he waved his hand to allow me to keep it.

"What time is it?" I murmured.

"Almost five in the morning." Finn replied.

I gave a long sigh. "Maybe they aren't sending a transmission."

"They will." Poe's voice was firm.

I rubbed my eyes with my palms. "It shouldn't have taken this long."

"My thinking is that Ren is having a hard time convincing the higher authorities that the risk is worth it for a single trooper." Finn observed. "I mean, you're important to him, but not really important to anyone else. And the First Order isn't known for being agreeable."

I nodded. "That makes sense."

"He'll keep fighting for you, though." Poe glanced at Rey as he spoke. "It sounds like you're worth fighting for in his eyes."

My cheeks burned lightly, and I looked away.

A beeping noise from the transmission desk snapped the entire room out of its sleepy trance. Hugh removed one of his headphones.

"We're getting a live feed!" His voice rang out.

Everyone scrambled to their feet. Poe held me off to the side by my arm, out of view of the camera. The crowd of people cleared so that General Leia could stand in the center to receive the message.

Hugh pressed a button, and a large projected image of Kylo ignited the room. He sat stiffly, his mask hiding his face.

"General Organa." His voice was formal, nonchalant.

"Kylo Ren." Her voice strained a bit as she returned the greeting. "Have you reached a decision?"

"Before I say anything, I will see her. I need to know that you aren't trying to cheat us in any way."

Leia nodded. She gestured to Poe, who clipped a pair of handcuffs over my wrists.

"Act scared." He murmured in my ear. "Seal the deal."

I gave him an incredulous look as he led me roughly by my arm so we could be seen in the camera. Nevertheless, I glanced around with wide eyes, making my breathing shallow and my movements small and jerky. I glanced at Poe, who gave a curt nod of approval, before turning and watching Kylo.

He sat still for a moment, staring at me. Then he gave a brief nod.

"Very well. The First Order have agreed to meet with you to discuss what you wish. We will send you the details for the meeting in a separate transmission."

Before anyone could respond, the feed cut off, leaving the room dark. There was a moment of silence before the crowd erupted into cheers, hugging each other with glee. 

Poe removed the cuffs, flashing me a grin. "Nicely done."

"Was that okay?" I made a face. "It felt forced."

"It was great." He gave a small shake of his head. "Just think... this could be the beginning of the end of the war."