hat man

The night was dark. The only light emitted into the tiny bedroom was from the door that stood slightly ajar. The room was clean for a four year old

toys

any

weren't

There

boy.

little

covering the floor and no clothes thrown about the room.

The little boy slept soundly; light snores could be heard coming deep from

twitched

arm

His

chest.

his

within

fervently, but became still after a few seconds. The sound of his breathing rang out across the silent room.

Seeing the child deep in his slumber, the tiny little man clambered out from under the boy's bed. He was a short

set

mustache

quirky

a

with

fellow

above his crooked lips. His eyes, which

his

to

close

set

enlarged,

were

forehead. He had no nose, but his ears made up for that. On top of his head, sat a velvet black top hat with fifteen little red cards sticking out of the band wrapped around it. He stood up on the haunches of his feet and stretched his tiny body out, a sigh leaving his parched lips.

The little boy stirred, but didn't wake. The tiny man giggled lightly and stepped back from the bed a bit. His eyes glanced around the small room, but slid back onto the little boy after mere seconds. He smiled a crooked smile and allowed his fingers to glide across the soft down comforter. The boy's eyes jerked open at that motion and he nearly screamed if not for the calming manner of the man standing before him.

"H-hello. What's y-your name?" the little boy stuttered out, gazing at the awkward little man.

The man merely smiled and clutched at his hat. "My name is Hat Man Williams, but you can call me Hat Man," he paused a second and the boy continued to stare at him in wonder. "I've never seen you before. What's your name, my dear boy?"

"My name's Jake. We just moved here."

sat

and

crookedly

smiled

Man

Hat

down on the edge of the bed.

"Ah, that would explain why I've never seen the likes of you before." His mouth twitched a little as he said this.

Jake sat up in his bed and rubbed at his eyes. His light brown hair stuck up in

He

head.

his

around

angles

odd