Author's Bio

Steven A

Steven A. Gedeon, BSc, MSc, MBA, PEng, PE, PhD is Director of the Ryerson Entrepreneur Institute and Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship & Strategy at the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University, the largest entrepreneurship program in Canada. 

Dr. Gedeon is a licensed Professional Engineer in the US and Canada, with three engineering degrees and an MBA, including his Masters and PhD from theMassachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is a technology commercialization expert who has brought new products and services to market in high-tech,manufacturing, automation, advanced materials, artificial intelligence, web-based applications, IT solutions, 3D and software applications. 

He has founded and/or been CEO of over a dozen public, private and non-profit ventures, as well as several venture capital funds and incubators. He has published more than 100 articles, reports and patents, and delivered more than 100 public speaking engagements and videos on Angel investing, personal leadership, success,agile lean design thinking, entrepreneurship, and best practices in teaching.

He is currently on the NACO Angel Academy and Professional DevelopmentCommittee, and was formerly the Chair of the NACO Education Committee andResearch Committee. Steve co-authored Age of the Angel and founded the Ryerson Angel Network (RAN) – the first university-based Angel group in Canada.

Steve has won more than 20 awards, including the President's Award of TeachingExcellence, the Experiential Teaching Award, and the USASBE National Award forEntrepreneurial Experiential Education Best Practices. The Ryerson EntrepreneurInstitute – a global leader in student experiential learning – has been awarded theCanadian Urban Institute's Prosperity Leadership Award.

He has broad experience in designing and delivering educational programs, courses and high-impact workshops in North America and Europe, including primary,secondary, post-secondary and graduate degrees; Train-the-Trainer programs for entrepreneurship educators, Angel investors and incubators; and corporate intrapreneurship programs for scientists and engineers.

He is actively involved in investing, commercializing and spinning off new companies with Fraunhofer Venture in Germany. He is Head of Education at the Strascheg Center for Entrepreneurship at the Munich University of Applied Science, Docentat the Brunswick European Law School, and on the Future Food Institute SteeringCommittee. He co-founded the Digital Media Zone – a Top Ten Global Incubator and #1 in Canada.

As Faculty Advisor to Students in Free Enterprise and Enactus Ryerson, Steve has guided his student teams to win more than 40 regional and national entrepreneurship championships through empowering others in need and running some of the largest student-run social entrepreneurship programs in the world.