Chapter 24: Memories and Surprises

Clarke's POV

I wake up to the sound of crunching steps. I open my eyes and the sun is shining through the tent faintly, giving it a warm yellow tint. I look around me and all I see is bunch of equipment, no Lexa. I take the water bottle standing in the corner and after taking a sip, I crumble out of the tent.

The first thing I see is tall brown-haired girl, walking back and forth with another bottle of water and a finger in her mouth. She notices me immediately.

"What?" Lexa mumbles through her finger. "I have to brush my teeth somehow."

I let out a chuckle. "I don't think water will help."

She takes the finger out, looking down at me with annoyed expression. "At least I'm the one trying not to be disgusting."

I stand up. "Give me a break, woman. I just woke up."

"So you have no excuse not to join me now," she throws me the bottle and starts walking again.

Rolling my eyes, I open it, full my mouth and start brushing my front teeth with my left finger.

After a minute, I get bored. I slowly walk to the back of the brunette, perfect amount of distance away to commit my crime. And I spit out the water right at the back of her neck.

She freezes in place, turning slowly with open mouth in shock. I can't stop smiling so I cover my mouth with my hand.

"Oh no, you didn't," Lexa's shocked expression changes into a laugh as she starts chasing me. I'm not a fast runner. But I have a weapon in my hands. I open the bottle and splash it all at her, making her bra visible under the white T-shirt that she wears with a flannel. She doesn't stop running though. I'm trying so hard to be the one ahead but a tree betrays me.

As soon as I stop in my tracks, Lexa catches me, tumbling me down to the ground.

We're both catching our breath, Lexa lying on top of me, looking me into my eyes.

"Well," she breathes out, "I think I have the shower part done for today."

I look down at my own clothes, which are now soaking wet as well thanks to our contact. "Same."

Lexa picks herself and helps me up as well. "We should go grab some food."

We can't leave our tent with no one to watch it, so I stay and Lexa goes for something to eat. Twenty minutes later, she brings two packed warm oatmeals, claiming she found a little café with a breakfast menu on the corner. After we eat it while sitting in front of the burnt-out fire place, we stay there in silence.

"Can I ask you a question?" Lexa breaks the comfortable quietness.

I nod. "Sure."

"Why were you acting so weird around Anya?"

I freeze. Trying hard not to change the tone of my voice, I answer. "Oh, weird? I don't think it was because of her, it was just.. A complicated day."

I refuse to look in Lexa's eyes as she keeps staring at me with no sign of emotion on her face. She breathes in loudly. "Anya told me you were familiar. And she refused to talk anything more about you. So where did you meet?"

I swallow nervously, moving myself to look into Lexa's eyes. "At a party."

Lexa waits. She expects more to my response but I don't give it to her. "And? I suppose you didn't just have a small talk and separated your ways."

It takes me longer than it should to answer. "She was my first.. Girl. You know," I gulp. "In that way."

Lexa doesn't seem surprised. She smiles. "Well, that sounds like Anya. But it's still weird."