Epilogue

London, England

September, 1821

Nancy built a school for girls. There was a little girl there with flowing black hair, bright blue eyes, and a fierce personality. Nancy watched her as she ran across the playground, chasing a cat. She always seemed detached from the other girls, in her own world all the time. She reminded Nancy of another little girl from long time ago, an angry girl with curly red hair and green eyes. This girl had the same determination Nancy had when she was young, but the difference was that this little girl would have all the opportunities Nancy hadn't. The thought made her smile.

"My favorite thing in the whole world," a voice said behind her, and then someone wrapped their arms around her waist.

"Andrew!" Nancy exclaimed in surprise. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I missed you, and decided I did not want to wait until tonight when you would finally have time for me." He nuzzled against her neck.

Nancy laughed. "Excuse me, Lord Montgomery, but you're the one who has no time for me." Andrew spent most of his time helping his father with their estate and handling state affairs. His father was not as healthy as he had once been, and Andrew knew he would have to officially take over soon.

"Rubbish." Andrew pulled her inside, away from the children playing on the playground and the supervising teachers. "My time is all yours." He kissed her fiercely. Years had passed, but the passion between them had not dwindled.

She pulled away, laughing. "This is not the right time."

"It is always the right time," he said, but he did not persist like he usually did. Nancy took his hand and led him back outside. They walked around the garden next to the playground.

"William is coming over for dinner tonight," Nancy told him. "So are Laura and her fiancé."

Andrew's face grew dark at the mention of Laura's fiancé. "Why is he coming?"

Nancy gave him a reprimanding look. "Because he is Laura's fiancé."

"This is difficult enough for William."

"William is the one who invited them both." Nancy gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. "Don't worry. I will handle everything."

Andrew nodded but didn't respond.

They watched the children playing from a distance. "Do you want children?" Nancy asked offhandedly.

"I want what you want," Andrew answered.

"I'm not certain if I want children or not." Andrew listened, waiting for her to go on. That was what Nancy loved best about him: He never interrupted her when she spoke. "This world is cruel."