8| Rhubarb

It wasn't too long ago that I would have bitched about not having time to myself

It wasn't too long ago that I would have bitched about not having time to myself. All I begged for was at least one day where I could do whatever I wanted. And now, that day has finally come. So what am I doing with all this free time? I'm lying on the couch throwing a water bottle up in the air repeatedly to entertain myself.

I was bored out of my fucking mind.

It was Thursday so the bakery was closed and my match wasn't until tomorrow, therefore my schedule was wide open. I should probably use this time to go and get groceries like a responsible adult, but that would require me to get up. I also debated on just watching Netflix all day, but in order to do that you have to have an account. Mine expired yesterday. Logic dictates that I could just renew it, but that also requires too much energy from me. So basically, I didn't want to get up, but I also didn't want to stay down.

Maybe this was my body's natural response after going to the gym nearly every day after work. Jason has been on my ass for slacking off, so I tried to make it up yesterday when I took Shortcake. It made sense to me. She wanted a lesson, I needed to train. Two birds with one stone. I wasn't banking on Jason showing up though. His little stunt with the bet was cute at first, until Katy decided to pull a one-eighty on me and nearly sabotaged my family jewels. Not to mention right after that, Jason reminded me once again why he was my manager when I found my face pinned to the ground by his foot.

I can never go back to that gym ever again.

So maybe it was okay to just lay here on the couch all day. I bet plenty of other people do it. Although I kind of wanted to be productive for once since the whole day was now open. Never thought I'd say that in my life. But, I later decided that instead of finding something productive to do around the place, I could still be productive by trying to catch the bottle thirty times in a row and hope that it doesn't hit me in the face again. That had to count for something, right?

I was around twenty-four when I heard three soft knocks at my door. Great, someone shows up right when I was getting to the twenties. Now I had to move. Unless it's Jason at the door. If that's the case, he can just go fu—

"Gage? It's me, Katy," I caught and held the bottle still at the sound of her muffled voice on the other side of the door. I definitely wasn't expecting a visit from her today. Or anyone, but whatever. "I'm sorry to disturb you. I know you said not to knock on your door unless there was a zombie apocalypse, but when you said that, it was early in the morning. And you kind of had this crazy look in your eyes. So it's the afternoon now and I figured it would be okay. Unless . . . it's not, and you were really trying to tell me you didn't want me over. And that's fine! I won't take any offense to it. Just because we work together and are neighbor doesn't mean we have to interact. I mean, we went to the gym and stuff together a few times, so that kind of requires interaction. And you didn't say no to helping me carry up my groceries one time . . . but anybody would do that. I don't know about the gym part, but—"