P R O L O G U E

[A/N]:

Most of you are gonna just skip past the author's notes but you should really just read them. It's usually important (for most authors). I try to keep it short, anyways.

[Kisses From Death] is edited very recently. However, both [Deadly Silent] and [Courting Death] are not (as of 16.02.2020, the prologue of DS is also edited). As such, there might be a break in continuity or flow in the characters' personalities. There are some parts in this book that I want to change but have yet to do so. Hence, please pardon me.

Thank you!

xx aurora

—————

P R O L O G U E

DEATH SULKED MOODILY from the armchair in his living room, a bag of ice in his hands, nursing the wound on his eye. To his right sat his three brothers, two of which were roaring with hysterical laughter while the last sat furthest away, a book in hand and completely uninterested in their conversation.

"Well, that went well, didn't it?" Conquest ridiculed, clutching at his belly while shaking his head. His words spilled with poorly kept chuckles, all barely suppressed. "Not only did you spectacularly fail at bringing Addison Pilediah to Hell, but you've also got yourself injured, destroyed whatever trust she might have for you in the future, and also gave the poor girl some nightmares that could possibly last for the rest of her life." He listed the points off one by one, checking them off using his fingers.

"It could've worked," War tried to argue. Nevertheless, he was still wearing a shit-faced grin, one which was starting to irritate Death. "If she had never discovered that our dear brother was pretending to be Cassiel, she might've agreed to it."

Conquest shook his head. Snowy white hair swayed by the sides of his face as he moved like snowflakes in the light winter wind.

"I told you guys from the start that it will never work. And even if it did, she will be horrified when she finds out she had been tricked. It was a failed plan from the very beginning."

"Shut up," Death hissed between clenched teeth. Blood trickled a little from under the bag of ice, his wound agitated. "If she had willingly followed, we wouldn't be in such a mess right now."

"Correction." Famine slammed his book shut with his two palms before laying it on the coffee table in the center of their living room. Leaning back on his seat, he folded his arms across his chest. "If you hadn't wiped her memories during her childhood years, we wouldn't be in such a mess right now."

Death frowned. "It was for her safety. If I hadn't done so, I would've had to bring her here when she was still a child. No child belongs in Hell."

The laughter in the room died down at Death's words. All four heads hung solemnly, various faces flitting through their minds. There were plenty of children in Hell, all through circumstances that were less than desirable. Unfortunately, most of them died to reasons relating to at least one of the four brothers.

They were harbingers of the apocalypse, after all, not angels that save and rescue. Their job exposed them to one disaster after another. At the helm of it all was their leader, the spirit of death. All mortal lives are short. Sooner or later, Death greets them.

"So what are you going to do now?" Conquest asked, his voice much softer. His head was still slightly bowed down, elbows resting on his knees as he stared at the colorful rug which sprawled under the coffee table, mindlessly tracing the patterns with his eyes. "We can't give up. And even if we can, there's no way you will give up so easily."