Chapter 3 - Broken Memories

Vanity sat at the far end of the conference room, watching as Max clicked away on his camera. She was thankful that he had come in right after Kontantine had pulled away and had made his way back to his seat. Neither of them had said a word to each other since then.

"I just need to know." She could still hear his voice reverberating inside her head.

What the hell did that even mean?

He just wanted to know what?

If he still had control over her? If she would still melt to his feet, at his touch?

Or was it if she still felt something for him?

Did she?

The moment his lips had touched hers, she had felt it. She had felt the same tingling feeling of ecstasy that she had felt the very first time that they had kissed. All of her insides cringed. Five years and in just one day he'd manage to turn her world up side down.

He had no right or better yet, she should have been stronger and not allowed him to kiss her. What was she thinking?

A mistake, she thought wryly as her mind wandered uncomfortably into the past, and Kontantine.

She had first met him back in Reagan Field, when she was driving home in her father's old Chevy venture from the library. After making a right by the traffic lights, his car had crashed into hers. Thank goodness the accident had been minor, nobody had been hurt but the same couldn't be said for her father's car and he was going to be pissed.

Kontantine had been there on business, he was new intown and wasn't used to driving the way that they did. Rushing over to help her out of the car, he had stopped and for moment forgot that they had just had an accident.

"Are you okay? "

She had lifted her head in a reflex movement and stared up at the bluest eyes that she had ever seen, with long curved lashed that rested on his hard tanned cheeks. He had leaned down and scooped her up against his powerful chest and briefly scanned over her for any signs of injury. As she had leaned back, they had stared at each other, face almost touching and lips slightly parted. After a while, he had stepped aside and allowed her to pass.

She had kept her head down and gaze fixed on the damage to her dad's bumper, all the while trying to shrug his unnerving eyes as they burned on her. She had been afraid to meet his gaze, frightened that he might read her.

The news that Kontantine was going to cover the costs for all damage done to the car rang like glory to her alcoholic father as she broke the news about the accident. But it didn't mean that she was completely off the hook. Vanity had to work extra shifts at Dane's Bistro, just to earn enough to get around town.

It was later that week, when she had been waiting for the bus, that she had seen a black car pull up from where she stood. As the windows rolled down, her skin prickled with fear. A smile crept on her face, relieved as Kontantine leant against the car seat.

"Have dinner with me."

Vanity had been afraid to accept. She had been twenty back then. Never been on a date, never been with a man and certainly not sophisticated enough to date a business man like Kontantine. He had to press on several times with a charming smile before she had accepted.

After four months, they had been engaged. She had travelled with him, gone clubbing, gone to the theatre . Life with Kontantine was blissful and she had never been this happy, secure in her love for him. My God, she had loved him, she thought now as she stared passed Max and rested her eyes on Kontantine.