CHAPTER 15- I WISH YOU WERE FOR ME

****Caroline's POV****

I sat in silence as Dylan drove me home. He was constantly asking me what had gone wrong at the charity event, but I failed to answer him. I was still trying to process everything that had happened to me in the span of only a few hours and I knew if I started to talk I was going to break down.

Only hours ago, when Dylan had offered me to move with him to California, I had felt like the happiest person on earth and now, it felt like my whole world was falling apart and I could do nothing but watch.

"Caro, this is getting really bad now. You were so happy during the auction. What happened to make you like this? I was there the whole time, what did I miss?" Dylan said, tossing concerned glances at me as he continued to drive.

"It's just that I'm not feeling well. I need some rest. I think I'll be fine after a nap" I said, almost in a whisper. I knew if I spoke any louder, my voice was going to crack.

"You sound like you're going to cry any instant now. Talk to me, Caroline. Tell me whatever it is and I will make it alright. And I swear if it is James, he'll be wiped off the face of the earth before the sun hits the sky."

I had to stop staring at my fingers and look at him hearing that threat. Dylan never exaggerated. He was always practical and everything he said—no matter how outrageous—was always backed by a certain reality. I wondered to what extent this one was applicable.

"It's not him," I told him, looking back at my fingers that rested on my lap.

"Then who?" He asked, the ever-present calmness slipping away a little.

"No one. I just need rest."

"Caro-"

I shook my head hoping he would stop pressing me to talk. I wanted to be alone. As much as I knew he cared for me like no other, Dylan could not comfort me. No one could.

I closed my eyes and turned my face away from him. Thankfully, he did not try to make me talk again.

The car stopped outside my home and I finally opened my eyes. They were glassy with tears ready to fall off. I could not look at Dylan. He did not have to see me cry.

"I'll call you tomorrow," I told him and stepped out of the car.

He didn't stop me. He didn't try to talk to me. He didn't say anything in return. He simply sat in his car, probably watching me, as I walked with hurried steps towards my house. Only when I stepped inside did he start the engine and drove off.

With dad, Lahaina and Juliea, the house was hardly ever empty. I always looked forward to having some alone time. It was always peaceful and rather comforting to have the house all to myself. But tonight the vacant house felt eerie.

I was still not ready to face either of them—especially Lahaina. But the empty house intensified the emptiness I was feeling within me.

With heavy steps, I went to my room. Stripping off the dress and carelessly draping it over a chair, I put on an oversized T-shirt. Then, heading to the bathroom I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair still looked perfect, my makeup was on point, my lips the color of the flower of love. My reflection mocked me for spending so much time to appear perfect for the man who had denied me a second glance.

I still looked the same as before, the only difference was that my red cheeks had gone pale and my eyes were filled with tears. Splashing some water on my face, to get rid of the makeup and tears, I took a deep breath.

The moment I closed my eyes to calm myself down, the image of Aaron and Lahaina together flashed before me. I shook my head as if it could clear that part from my memory.