Venturing Through a Murder Chapter 1

Squeals of delight filled the air that late summer day, as Fern Trent parked at her sister's new house on 37th Street. Newly married, her sister Carrie Trent had just arrived back in the states after a relaxing honeymoon in Hawaii with her hubby, Vince McAvoy. To celebrate the expensive set up of the house and their pool, the McAvoys were hosting a small pool party. Carrie liked to host classy parties and invite her best (and only) little sister over during these parties. While her new (and only) brother tried to set her up with his best buds.

Fern rolled her eyes as she grabbed her poolside bag from the backseat. Her white sundress blew wildly as she shut the backdoor of her 2016 Blue Toyota Tacoma. She jumped down from her truck, grinning to herself and holding her dress down while in the process. Who said short blonds couldn't drive big trucks?

She blew her hair out of her eyes, trying not to think of the rough day she had. Actually, make that a rough few months! Being a private detective was hard work, not being an affiliated officer and only paid by clients made finding work hard. She didn't want to resort taking cold cases from her mentor police detective at the station (long story short: he's why she became a private eye). She had to find work soon... even another stupid "Tracking the Spouse" case (which usually ended badly).

She shook her head from these thoughts as she saw a group of people through the fence. Some were in the pool while Vince was talking to two men she hadn't seen before. She smiled wondering if he was trying his matchmaking ways again... having a brother was a different thing that she would just have to get used to.

She saw her sister standing on the diving board, and her sister must have seen her as well when she shrieked, "FERN!!!! OH MY LORDY!! COME HERE!!!" Her sister started rushing towards her, her black Bandeau swimsuit with her arms outstretched. Fern laughed as her dripping sister hugged her tight.

"Hey Car, what's happening?" Fern laughed as she let go of her sister, her green eyes twinkling.

"This pool party is what's happening! I've missed you bunches... you need to go to Hawaii girl!" Her sister cued. Her sister's strawberry blond hair flowed over her shoulders, soaking wet. She adjusted her swimsuit as she yammered on about the weather being perfect for their party, and the things she missed in Hawaii.

As Fern listened to her sister, she noticed Vince waving calmly over at them. She smiled and waved as her sister wrapped an arm around Fern and continued about the honeymoon. Carrie and Fern hadn't seen each other for over two weeks so they needed to catch up. Er... Carrie needed to catch Fern up.

Fern made eye contact with the blond and blue eyed guy standing with Vince. He was turning his head slightly looking back at her... or perhaps her sister? Nah, he wouldn't let Vince see him looking at Carrie would he? He smirked and nodded at her playfully. He wore slick blue swimming trunks, and did have a few muscles that made her eyebrows raise in appreciation. Well, she liked what she saw...

Then, the dark haired man came into her vision also. He was slightly taller, and attractive also. He grinned in a less flirty fashion, but seemed bemused by her. He wore a shark tooth around his neck with black and blue square foot swim shorts. He scratched his head sheepishly as he looked away from her gaze, his chocolate eyes seeming milkier this way.

Fern tried to knock herself out of the trance, but both of them were exceptionally attractive and she was not used to that. Or at least, not used to seeing exceptionally attractive men around.

Her sister was now yammering about how amazing married life was... this was always an awkward conversation with Carrie. Carrie either shared TOO much, or dreamed of the day her sister would get married. Fern groaned as she pulled her dress over her head to reveal a red and white polka-dotted-skirted-tankini. She threw it on a chair nearby along with her pool bag.

"Sis, if you are gonna talk all night can I have a drink?" Fern asked running her fingers through her hair as she started to braid her hair.

"Yeah, Sam Adams right? Jump in the pool... I'll get the drink," Carrie said abruptly rushing towards a cooler.

Fern rolled her eyes and breathed deeply for a moment of peace. She loved her sister dearly, and had missed her but that was TOO much information all at once. She cannonballed into the water after finishing her braid haphazardly.

She glided through the bubbles from her jump, willing peace over her mind. She pushed off of the side of the pool coming up for a breath. Suddenly an explosion of someone breaking through the water immediately at her right freezes her in place. The blond haired dude had jumped in next to her. When the bubbles cleared she glimpsed over at him stunned, and they locked eyes. He smiled and waved at her through the water. What the heck? Hello to you too, dork... she smirked.

He grinned and went to the surface for air. Which she had to do as well... she broke through the surface, brushing the hair from her face. Blondie was smiling over at her, with a huge smirk on his face. What the hell..? Who does this guy think he is? She smiled back and then said, "Hey, smiles, think you can beat me in a race?"

"Wha-" His smirk started to disappear, but she interrupted him saying, "First one to the end of the pool and back, wins," Fern cocked her head with a confident smile. "Okay, you're on, Buttercup."

Fern, not sure what to think of her new nickname, positioned herself in the water, and he took his cue from her. "Okay, Three... two...," they both counted together and both dived underwater. For an observer, it was obvious both were avid swimmers... built well and ready to take on any challenge.

The blond haired male was slightly behind Fern already since she sped off in a dolphin spin. The bubbles around her camouflaged