Chapter 16

⠀⠀⠀It feels like at least three-fourths of the town is crammed inside Jessie's large house. Her father, the mayor, makes sure to host an open New Year's Eve celebration every year, and almost everyone accepts the invite. Being allowed to enter the mansion that is the Conway house is an annual luxury that nobody wants to miss out on.

⠀⠀⠀Jessie, Dustin, Hayden, and Wyatt, being used to going into Jessie's house, have taken refuge from the masses upstairs in her bedroom. Hayden sits wrapped in Wyatt's arms while watching their time zone's version of the Times Square party she's usually at on the large TV on Jessie's wall. Meanwhile, Jessie is on Dustin's lap, kissing him more feverishly than usual.

⠀⠀⠀"The hell's gotten into you guys?" Wyatt asks.

⠀⠀⠀Jessie whispers something into Dustin's ear so neither Hayden nor Wyatt can hear what she's saying. When Dustin nods his head, she jumps up from his lap and scurries over to her dresser. She opens what Hayden knows is her underwear draw and rifles through it for a little. She pulls something out and runs back over to the bed.

⠀⠀⠀A small red box is handed over to Hayden. She opens it to reveal the prettiest diamond ring she has ever seen. Wyatt lets out a whistle.

⠀⠀⠀"We're getting married!" Jessie squeals.

⠀⠀⠀"Congratulations!" Hayden cries.

⠀⠀⠀Wyatt just stares at Dustin. "Dude, how long you been keepin' this from me?"

⠀⠀⠀Dustin winces. "Christmas Day?"

⠀⠀⠀Wyatt glares at him. "Why'd you keep this from me? This is big news, man. Congrats!"

⠀⠀⠀Jessie jumps in to defend her man. "He wanted to, like, right after he proposed, but I wanted to tell Daddy first, and I haven't found the right time."

⠀⠀⠀"So, when's the wedding? Have you started planning anything yet?" Hayden asks.

⠀⠀⠀Jessie smiles at Dustin as she leans up against him. "We wanna have it over the summer, probably July, so anyone who's going to college can still come. It's obviously going to be outside." She pauses and looks at Dustin, who kisses her nose. "Other than that, we don't know. Just the traditional white dress and tuxedo and my dad walking me down the aisle and all that."

⠀⠀⠀Hayden snuggles up next to Wyatt even closer. "It's going to be beautiful."

⠀⠀⠀Dustin looks over at the clock and says, "We should probably go downstairs. It's almost midnight."

⠀⠀⠀The four leave the bedroom, Jessie hiding her ring back in her drawer, and enter the main part of the house, squeezing through the large crowd of people in order to find some breathing room.

⠀⠀⠀"Ten... Nine... Eight..." the entire house chants.

⠀⠀⠀When they get to three, Wyatt kisses Hayden. They keep kissing long after the party shouts "Happy New Year!"

⠀⠀⠀Hayden giggles when they finally break apart. "You were a little early there."

⠀⠀⠀He shakes his head. "I just couldn't resist."

The Boy Next DoorOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara