𝕾𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

We're all in the safe haven now and we play it safe. We wait for the lurkers to fully join the mix and lose all interest in the building we're in after Carmen's episode. Amber and I sit next to each other on the floor. Jace and Bray are lying down on their stomachs a few meters away, talking about tactics with the dust on the floor. Tactics that are not related to the apocalypse though...

"And that's when you make a run for it," Jace draws a line from 3B to Home Plate.

"Wait, hold up," Bray frowns, pinching his chin. "The pitcher is aiming right at us so why would we-"

"Because," Jace puts a finger up and smiles at Bray because he was smart enough to notice the pitcher's arrow aiming at the runner. "You see, this is where the blind spot is," he taps.

I find it funny how an apocalyptic crisis had to take place in order for them to get close. Them with those tensed one-liners and with me always stuck in the middle of it. They only ever started hating each other because of that one game in training where Bray thought Jace's team cheated. High school shit, yanno?

"Ohhh," Bray comes to a realisation. "That's actually gold. How come I just found this out? Oi, Dean!"

I nod to him like what's up.

"This whole time there was a blind spot on the field and you as a captain never told me that?!" he takes offence.

"Mate, everyone knows that trick."

"I didn't!"

We laugh at him. 'Course he didn't.

Ella and Carmen, on the other hand, are conversing by the window. I've never been in love. But when I look at that girl with those jet-black waves... I think I'm pre' much in it. In love. Or is it just a crush? Who knows? I just like the feeling of it.

Thing is, I'm fucking scared of falling into love, deeper and deeper, and suddenly the person I'm in love with just falls out. Cheats. All that gen z sneaky shit. Kinda like drowning, I wanna drown with them, not alone... But healthily, you feel me? Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it all. If Love's even worth fighting for. But when I see Elody's smile, I'm ready for war, just to keep that smile on her face.

"You and Jace," I pick the dirt out from under my fingernails, "care to explain?"

"'Explain' what?" Amber gazes at me like she's got no clue.

"Amber," I roll my eyes, "Jace isn't the type of guy you should... He's only gonna break your heart, I've seen it. I mean, take a look at Carmen for instance."

"You can't tell me who I can and cannot be with, Dean. Besides, I'm not stupid, there's nothing there anyway. We're not together."

"Lol, fr? Even Bray caught on. Listen, I'm only tryna look out for ya."

"I don't need you to 'look out' for me. You're my brother, not my mother."

"Exactly, I'm your brother."

"And what," she scoffs, "you and Bray are spying on me now?"

"No, we were only-"

"What's up with you and Ella then, huh?"

"We're nothing."

"Exactly," she says proudly like she won or something.

My face goes a lil red. I mean, Bray knowing about my crush is fine. But my sister? Hell, na.

"Mum will like her." That's Amber's way of saying she approves.

"Yeah, well, Dad won't like him." My way of saying I don't.