Chapter Thirty Four

The studio was quiet. It was six fifteen a.m. Amber had slept on the rooftop the last few nights while the beach house was being emptied for the new tenants. Amber absentmindedly began to log onto Sydney's old social media account. She logged into it every so often to read through Sydney's most intimate thoughts, and her feelings. It felt like logging into her diary. This morning she would finally deactivate it, and she had no intention of ever logging back in again. The computer lit up the dark office. There was the typical blue writing, the profile picture Sydney had last changed it to and the last entry from five years ago.

"I marry the love of my life in an hour!!!"

Amber clicked on the comments. She had read them a million times, old school friends who didn't know she was marrying a woman and Sydney's reply:

"Yes I'm marrying a girl, and yes I'm happy about that. Love is love it does not discriminate. Love catches you off guard, it comes in many forms, and it's beautiful, pure and unapologetic. Amber is the answer to a million questions I've asked in my life. Nothing will ever change that. Deep down inside each of us has a place that only few will ever get close to touching. It's rare, its magic and it doesn't check gender before it lets them imprint on your soul. You can't predict your soul mate and you can't hold your soul captive awaiting society's ideal suitor. So yes, I'm marrying the love of my life, and yes, she's a she, and not a he, get over it"

Amber smiled as she always did to read Sydney's passion. It was always refreshing. She flicked through the other comments one more time before entering settings and pausing briefly before deleting the account.

"Hey Beaton" Rachel called as she entered the studio. She was dressed in her yoga pants and lycra tank top, sweat beads glowing on her skin.

"Hey" Amber greeted, with her head buried in her hands as she wiped her eyes of the little sleep she had had.

"You look lovely this morning" Rachel teased.

Amber flipped her the bird with a sarcastic smile etched on her lips.

"You been sleeping on my roof again Beaton? I better not find any naked women up there this time" she said, taking the small staircase to the roof.

Amber felt herself smile at the memory of Rachel finding Sydney up there in only a blanket after one of their dates.

"Well I don't believe it" Rachel declared coming back down to the office. "There isn't a soul up there. You have really grown up Beaton. I am like a proud mother"

"I will take that as a compliment, whether intended so or not, because it's my last day and I want to remember you as a nice and kind friend and not the sarcastic bitch who rides my ass about everything and anything"

"Hey" Rachel protested "I ride you because I love you. You need me in your life Beaton. I keep you on the straight and narrow and STD free"

Amber stood and flicked Rachel's bare shoulder hard as she passed her in the doorway into the studio.

"Ouch" Rachel squeaked, before coming behind Amber and grabbing her waist teasingly with a squeeze and a friendly kiss to the cheek "I tease you but I love you Amb. Please don't leave me in charge while you are off finding yourself! I might kill the business in my first week going solo. I won't tell you either. I will just close up shop and run off"

Amber released Rachel's hands from her waist and sat herself with a thump in one of three leather recliners. Rachel did the same, flopping down dramatically and readjusting the ring in her sternum.

Amber pulled her fair hair into an elastic band and left it in a messy bun. "Rachel I hired you eight years ago as the most talented young artist I had come across in years. I highly doubt you will ever sink the business. It's in safe hands babe. I trust you!"

"Well you shouldn't" Rachel replied childishly, as she spun her chair around with the tip of her sneaker.

"Don't pout Rach. You got this. It won't be forever. I'll come back, I promise"

Rachel stopped her chair spinning,  and she sat forward, meeting Ambers concerned features.

"Will you though Amber? I know what it's been like for you since Sydney went missing. I was holding your hand through that hell. I know how the whole place and everywhere you go here, it haunts you. When you came back from Paris and told me what happened I hoped it would help you heal some, but it's only pushed you further away from us all here. I don't think once you leave and run from these ghosts you will ever return. Why would you? When you are finally free of it all"

Amber felt herself sink into her chair away from Rachel's questioning eyes. How could she tell her that she agreed, that running and never coming back sounded like heaven?

Rachel leant further forward and rested her hands on Amber's knees. "I don't know" Amber confessed. "I don't know if I will come back, truthfully, but I do know that I would run back into the flames of hell for you Rach. If you ever needed me I would be here in a day and I'll still help with the business I just won't be here with you every day in person anymore. I will find you someone to partner up with I promise. You won't be left with both of our work to do"

Rachel began to laugh "Seriously Beaton, you would run back through the flames of hell for me? I'm touched"

Amber kicked her chair backward, sending herself moving away from Rachel to the other side of the room. Rachel continued to laugh as Amber stuck out her bottom lip. "Beaton I love you. I'm joking" she confessed, standing and throwing herself onto Ambers lap and wrapping her arms around her neck as their weight pushed the chair further back into the wall. "I will miss you but I do not mind your work diary at all. Two years of pre booked work suits me just fine."

"Hey" Amber questioned, whilst removing Rachel's arms from her neck "You never know Rach. They may travel to California for me to do it personally"

"Highly doubt it Beaton" Rachel retorted with a smile "Come on, let's get dressed and open up. We have interviews to do all afternoon for my protégé"

Amber laughed and followed Rachel into the office to change.