Chapter 5 - Phase 1

They were woken up at exactly 6 in the morning. They were expected to get their pack ready and be outside in line in 10 minutes.

Tyler got up straightaway and began getting to work. He put his combat trousers on and quickly tied the laces of his boots. He then got to work on the pack. He put in his other trousers and all the other essentials given. He went outside and put water in his canteen. He was first to get ready and stood outside ready. It took everyone another couple of minutes before they all exited and lined. "Okay everyone. Have your packs ready in front of you. The rest of the staff will be checking the weight of your packs before we give further information. Tyler was in the middle. They had a weight checker. So far everyone was either above or below the expected 40kg. When the man came to him he began the check. "Hold your pack up". He weighed it. "We got a perfect 40kg here. Well done, now put it on". He moved on and Tyler quickly put the rucksack on.

Once everyone was done the lead DS spoke. "Right we are going to be starting a 40 mile trek. You are expected to complete this in under 24 hr. Fail to do so and you could be booted out. If you want to give pull you armband off and you'll be sent home. Understand". They all replied saying "Yes DS". "Good let's go". The lead DS was called Ant. He began jogging and leading the 40 mile trek. Tyler went on many jogs and runs nut 40 miles was different. He put his mind to it and decided to keep going. He knew that there would be a break after 20 miles. He decided to keep to the front and not stall behind.

11 miles later many had slowed back but Tyler was still a metre away from Ant. He then jogged faster and was jogging right next to him. "Wow kid, you're doing better than many men back there". "Yes DS sir, this is fine for me" he panted. "Well this is just the beginning". "Yeah at least there's a break in 9 miles". "How do you know about that"? "All my research came to this". "Well you might wanna talk less. It will sap up you breathing". "Yes DS". Tyler decided not to talk much. At the last mile he sprinted to the flagged point. He sat on the grass and waited. He was sweating and panting like crazy. He pulled his canteen out. He then quickly checked the time. 10:40. It had been 3hours and 40 minutes. He looked over at Ant and he had hardly lost a single breath. He was amazed at the fact. After 20 minutes everyone else was soon piling in. There was a boy just older than him and the boy decided to speak to him. "Hi, Dwayne Anderson". "Tyler Adams". They shook hands. "Heard you ran the whole thing beside Ant". "Not to be cocky it was difficult but you have to control your breathing". "Nice to know thanks". "They received an 1hr break before they set off again. Tyler got up and began jogging again. After another 20 miles they would soon arrive back at camp.

After another 20 miles they arrived at camp at 5:15. Tyler slowed he was breathing heavily and he had luckily passed the first test. He took his bag but still stood up. He had no instruction to sit. That was the end of the first day. Once everyone gathered, he noticed there were a little fewer people. There were now 28. During the run, two of them had ripped their arm bands off. He was shocked. In the first couple of hours two had given up. They were given instructions to eat then sleep. It was tire some but he was ready for whatever came next.

Over the next three weeks there were many exercises that lasted for days and Tyler and flied through them. He had not given up and he would never. After three weeks the remaining 18 were left. "Well done the rest of you. Phase Two begins after we enter the jungle of Belize. A helicopter will arrive within the hour. We will distribute jungle clothing and other essentials as we arrive. Dismissed". As they would be leaving that day. Tyler packed all his items and had his lunch. He waited for the helicopter to arrive.

As the CH47 Chinook arrived, they all entered. The pilot spoke saying that the journey would take about 9 hours. Tyler sat back as usual and waited for the journey to end.