The Beach

Hey all! I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a long time! I wrote a oneshot this time, not a short story... and I'm sorry if it's super fluffy and cringy, I have been in somewhat of a romantic mood lately.

If you have any ideas for short stories, PLEASE message me!!

Cheers!

-Lai

My eyes narrowed at the blue, blue sky, squinting against the harsh glaring light of the sun. I was lying on my back on a Union Jack beach towel, which was spread out across white sand, and I was propped up on my elbows. I flipped over to my side and sought for my sunglasses in vain.

I was getting quite warm, so I took my shirt off, wincing at how blindingly pale I was. I grabbed the sunblock, and began to apply it to my chest and back. I was glad Ally had decided to bring extra, she had gone through an entire bottle herself this week.

We were on our second anniversary trip. At first I didn't exactly see why this would be necessary, and had to be coerced by John and Ally. But, now that we were in Spain again, I was thoroughly enjoying myself. I say again, because we had gone to Spain on our honeymoon. This time, we were visiting a different part.

John and Mrs. Hudson were watching William, which was an incredible feat of strength and willpower. I don't think I've ever met another kid so headstrong or intelligent. He was very smart. Well, that was to be expected, he was my son. He had also taken a shine to Rosie, and followed her everywhere. They were cute, playing together. Ally once remarked, after she came into the sitting room where William and Rosie were playing on the floor as John and I read the newspapers, searching for new cases, sitting in our chairs, "Well, if it isn't Watson, Holmes, Holmes, and Watson."

I looked over at my wife, who was standing in the surf. The sun glinted off of the water, which was so beautiful and blue.

She was starting to look a little pink, I would need to remind her to reapply the sunblock soon. She was wearing a dark emerald green strapless bikini, and I could see the heavy concentration of freckles on her shoulders and down her back that were only growing in population the longer we spent out in the sun. Her thick red hair had been in a french plait all day, and she had taken it out. It was all wavy down her back, looking beautiful albeit fluffy and unkempt.

She must've felt my gaze, because she turned back to me, a smile on her face. She was wearing sunglasses that blocked my view of her beautiful eyes. Those eyes that were so impossibly green, none else compared to them. Save, maybe, my own lovely eyes.

I got up and joined her in the waves. The ocean was warm against my legs, and the sand was soft between my toes. I reached over and plucked the sunglasses off of her face.

"Hey!" she said, protesting, as the sun hit her eyes and she squinted. "I need those, Sher!"

"Well, now I can see your beautiful eyes," I said.

She reached over and plucked my sunglasses off as well. "Well," she said, defiantly. "Now I can see your beautiful eyes."

"Oh dear, I am exposed," I said, with mock drama.

She chuckled and rolled her eyes. "Whatever are you going to do?"

"Kiss you," I said, and darted forward to catch her by surprise.

She squealed and jumped backwards playfully, and began to run away, laughing. I ran after her, determined to catch up. The sand sprayed outwards where my feet hit, clinging to the bottoms, due to the fact I had been in the ocean.

When I finally caught up with her, I grabbed her around the waist, she squealed as I swung her around, but I lost my balance, and fell over. She crashed into me, and we rolled a ways. We stopped rolling half in the surf, me partly on top of her.

I smirked at her, and she smirked back, raising an eyebrow.

I leaned down and kissed her, halfway in the ocean, on the beach in Spain.

This was shaping up to be a pretty great trip.