Chapter 38: Unknown

Becca

I felt light, like someone had pumped an entire tank of helium into my veins and I was floating with every step I took.

Brett loved me. He was in love with me.

I could not believe it.

I love you, Becca, he had said. The look on his face told me that he meant every word, every syllable. He meant it all.

I had read about love hundreds of times in books. Seen it portrayed beautifully in endless movies. But none of that could compare to how this felt; how it felt knowing that Brett was in love with me, that someone as exceptionally beautiful as himself loved me.

I replayed that moment on his couch over and over in my mind, wanting to commit every single second of it to my memory. For the rest of my life, I wanted to remember that moment and the look in Brett's eyes as he said those three words to me.

I never wanted to forget it.

"Becca, you've been staring at the ceiling smiling for the past five minutes." I ignored Cassie's voice, my mind fixated on Brett.

I love you, Becca.

I questioned if this was real or not, if I was dreaming and would suddenly wake up one minute and realize that this entire day didn't happen. But this was real. For once in my life, reality was better than the fictional universe I orchestrated in my mind.

"Ow!" I cried out, my head flinching backwards as a pillow struck me in the face.

"That was a pillow, shut up." Cassie grumbled, sitting down beside me on her bed and watching me expectingly. She was right, it didn't actually hurt but the response was out of habit.

"What's your problem?" I asked her, lifting the pillow off my face and throwing it onto her lap.

"My problem?" She asked, her eyes widening with annoyance. "You just told me that Brett freaking loves you and you won't even give me details!" She yelled, pouting and crossing her arms over her chest.

I couldn't help but laugh at her expression, she was acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

"Becca, I will throw something harder at your face if you do not tell me-"

"Fine!" I yelled, laughing as I cut her off and shielded my face protectively.

I laid blissfully on Cassie's bed for the next hour, replaying tonight's events as she listened intently, never missing a beat.

"I don't trust this Jade girl, Becca." She declared.

"She seemed sweet," I argued, shrugging off her concern.

"Exes are never sweet. They're evil."

"Her grandfather died, Cass. That's why she's here. She doesn't have some type of ulterior motive." I rolled my eyes at her comments.

"Please, a death in the family is the biggest lie in the book, Becca. Don't fall for that crap."

"Cassie!" I yelled. "Who would lie about something like that?"

"Crazy ex-girlfriends, that's who." She replied firmly, watching me with her eyebrows raised.

"Maybe I should have stayed with Brett tonight," I mumbled, already regretting my decision to come here. Cassie was filling my head with millions of horrible thoughts, completely ruining my good mood.