Chapter Fourteen

Monday morning I dragged myself into the school building, yawning widely. The weekend had sucked all the energy out of me. Training with Oliver at the bar exhausted me, but it turned out to be a lot more fun than I'd expected. Anthony was a really great guy, and there was a really cheerful atmosphere there. Even Oliver would get caught up in it and smile in a way I'd never expected him to be able to. He could be really handsome.

The almost empty hallways told me I had arrived to school earlier than I expected. Whistling to myself, I started towards my room, tapping my fingers against my leg in beat to the song I was whistling. My whistle suddenly stopped when I noticed my classroom light was on.

Maybe I could finally catch Tucker in action!

Staying as quiet as possible, I tiptoed down the rest of the hallway, holding my breath tightly. I stuck my head around the door and looked in. Tucker wasn't in the main part of the classroom. That could be used to my advantage. Slipping into the room, I quietly shut the door behind me. He wouldn't be able to avoid me this time.

Still keeping silent, I headed towards the supply room. I heard the clatter of a plate being put in the sink, and then the sound of a faucet being turned on. I stopped by the door, thinking hard. Should I step in and catch him in the act? Or wait until he comes out? My decision was abruptly made for me when Tucker stuck his head out of the supply room doorway.

His eyes shot open in surprise, and then narrowed, his face flushing red in anger.

I immediately took a step away, surprised by his hostility. "Tucker—"

"What are you doing here?" he demanded in a tight voice.

"It's my classroom," I shot back. "What are you doing?"

"None of your business!"

"Tucker, yes it is!"

"No it's not!" he nearly shouted, retreating back into the supply room. "Go away!"

I stared incredulously after him. "But it's my classroom!"

"I don't care!"

When I saw he was beginning to shut the supply room door I quickly moved forwards and stuck my foot in between the door and the doorway. Tucker scowled at me through the small gap and I scowled right back. Suddenly he brought his hand through the small gap and shoved me in the chest. I gasped in shock and pain, stumbling back a few steps. Tucker slammed the door.

"What are you doing in there?" I demanded, walking back up to it. "Open it!"

"Nothing and no!"

"You're doing something!"

"None of your business!"

I narrowed my eyes at the door. "Do you want me to involve the principal?"

The door swung open and Tucker sent me a harsh glare before stepping out of the way to let me in. I frowned at him, stepping into the room. My eyes swept around it and landed on a small plate of food on the counter. I stared at it curiously before turning to Tucker.

He looked angry, embarrassed, and hurt all at the same time. This made me frown deeper.

"Tucker..."

"What?" he snapped.

"Do you come in here to eat breakfast every day?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

He shook his head. "No."

"Then what?"

Tucker set his jaw before answering. "I make lunch using the supplies."