Chapter Two

Cold, Dark, Lonely; these were some of the words you would use to describe the most outer parts of Azkaban. The little dementor was not the first to be banished, nor would he be the last.

The little dementor wished many times that he could leave the barren place that he was banished to. He wished he was young again, so he could be held in his mother's arms. He wished the other dementors would see just how much they hurt the humans. He wished all these things, and yet, they were never granted.

To pass the time, the little dementor often went from flying as fast as he could, to just floating in mid-air pondering what a rubber duck was actually used for.

It was on one of these days, when the incident took place. A part of his ragged cloak fell off. That piece of cloth blew into the wind, disintegrating as it went. At first, the little dementor was horrified. Then he remembered what his mother had told him many years ago--he would turn to dust.

As he remembered the conversation he had with his mother, he thought it ironic that his mother had used sand as a description. For he was going to surely die over the raging waves of the ocean.

As the days flew by him, the little dementor began to weaken and he often found himself short of breath.

The little dementor's days were filled with loneliness and wishful thinking. And on top of that, he was beginning to show signs of death, and that is never a pleasant thought.

But the little dementor still deemed his situation better than stealing the happiness from a human.