Chapter 2b

I finished shoveling food into my mouth—during which Nirrin made some kind of comment about ravenous wolves—and took off. I was trotting toward the lake trail when a gruff voice called my name. I skidded to a halt and looked around.

"You sure are tough on a pair of shoes," the voice said.

I finally located the source: an ancient, white-haired man bent over a cobbling workstation, wearing a frayed woven hat. Davin.

"Do you ever walk?" He eyed me from under the brim of his hat.

"Sometimes," I mumbled. He was always nice—in his own way—to Siena, but with everyone else he was a grumpy codger.

"Let me see those." He gestured to the worn leather moccasins on my feet.

"Right now?"

"Sember, I'm not getting any younger."

I bit back a retort and grudgingly slipped the shoes off my feet.

He turned them over, swept his hands over the scuffs—which were pretty much everywhere—and stuck his finger through a few of the holes. "These don't bother you?"

I shrugged and drew a circle in the dirt with my toe. "I'm not a complainer."

He nodded, grunted something, and then reached around behind his worktable. His hand emerged with a brand-new pair of shoes. I was quite surprised when he pushed them into my hands.

"You want me to deliver these to someone?" I asked.

"They're yours."

"Mine?" I looked down at them. They looked to be just my size. "You just had these lying around?"

"I make them to order. These have reinforced soles."

"But . . . " I was about to say I didn't order any, but then it dawned on me that maybe he was being nice. To me, of all people. I gave him my best smile. "Thank you, Davin. I see why Siena likes you."

His eyes crinkled. "Any word from her yet?"

I shook my head, and disappointment clouded his face. I wasn't the only one who missed her. I suddenly wondered what it would be like to be so well liked, to be missed by so many when you were away. My family would miss me, sure, but . . . other than Nirrin, everyone else would probably breathe a sigh of relief at my absence.

"Thanks again, Davin," I said and turned to go.

He caught my hand to stop me, catching me by surprise. I turned back to look at him and, after a brief pause, he said, "We aren't so scary, you and I."

My mouth parted, but no words came out. His words warmed me in a way that no fire could. I gave him an affectionate smile and squeezed his hand. Seconds later, I was off again.

The new shoes felt a little stiff as I ran, but they were well made and would soon conform to my feet once I broke them in. Which probably wouldn't take long. I began my lap around the lake.

So Davin didn't think I was scary. I could count on one hand the number of people who shared his sentiment. Sadly, I couldn't even count myself as one of them. What did it feel like to be normal? To have people talk to you freely instead of walking on eggshells? To be able to have a temper tantrum and not blow anything up?

To not be so damn dangerous.

When I'd run a full circle around the lake, I found Dozan by the edge of the water, fishing pole in hand and line in the water. I strongly considered ignoring him and diving back into the forest before he saw me. Our last encounter hadn't exactly ended well. But I remembered Nirrin's silly request. And with the new knowledge that I was her best friend, I felt it was my responsibility to fulfill that request. Even though it was stupid.

I slowed my stride and stopped beside him, deciding to start with a simple, "Hi."

"Hi," he replied, eyebrows raised. He seemed surprised that I was talking to him at all. "No explosions today? Because I was hoping to catch some fish this time."

I pursed my lips, biting back my irritation. Nirrin was going to owe me big. "I'll try to keep it down," I said.

"So you're explosive, strong, and fast. You're pretty lethal, aren't you?"

I sighed inwardly. Strike three for me. I was officially not attractive to boys. "You were watching?"

"I was already here when you started running. Not much to do while you're waiting for fish to notice your hook. So yeah, I was watching."

I had been lost in thought. I might have skipped the run altogether if I had noticed him. I peered into his empty bucket. "Not a very good fisherman, are you?"

He shrugged. "It's not my trade, so no. I was just hoping for something other than rodents for dinner."

I suppressed a smile and asked, "What is your trade then?"

"My family are traders. We travel from tribe to tribe spreading joy, good tidings, and making a little profit while we're at it," he said with a wink.

What do you think, does this guy need to go to charm school? Thanks for your vote! Now onward to finish the chapter...