Chapter Ten

Sang

Sang

"Can I kill?" Gideon asked darkly as I leaned back against his flank and crossed my arms.

I cast a weary eye on the large group of riders arguing back and forth with one another. It was beginning to give me a headache. 

"I'm afraid not," I replied regretfully.

Seeing one of them smashed between the dragon's sharp-edged teeth was starting to sound like a brilliant idea at this point. As soon as Owen asked—no—more like demanded one of us to start talking, everything blew up. North, Luke and Gabriel began spitting out their stories of recent events as if they didn't do it quickly enough, the truth would disappear into a wisp of smoke to be forgotten forever.

It was entertaining at first. That was until one couldn't even hear their own voice over the noise of someone else's. Being in the presence of a Tenebrous and a female rider was an impossible thing, or so we all thought. But was it absolutely necessary to screech and wail and squawk about it?

Gideon's moan of annoyance reverberated throughout my skull and his upper lip curled in disdain. "Little One. Please?"

"Give it a little more time. If they're not done soon, I just might let you."

I took a good look around the clearing and fought off the urge to shudder in disgust. The once eye-catching wildflowers were now drenched in blood from the fight. Arms, legs, and even heads, were strewn everywhere. Some were even charred from Gideon's flames. I would have been a mess if it weren't for Gideon's comforting presence in the back of my mind.

Right as the adrenaline left my body, it finally registered how close I was to perishing from this world. My body began to shake so hard that it was close to convulsing. Gideon had to send wave after wave of soothing energy through our bond in order to calm me down. It was just what I needed, because I couldn't afford to look weak in front of them.

For about the hundredth time, I let out an irritated breath. They just wouldn't shut up and were all completely unaware of the fact that I had little control over my dragon. The tip of his barbed tail was flicking back and forth in the dirt and his ears were pressed flat against his head. If all the images he was sending was enough to go off of, I felt confident that he was minutes away from engulfing them in his flames.

"Would you like to do the honors or shall I?"  I asked Gideon, my lips twisted into a smirk.

Without answering, he let out a raucous roar that caused the earth beneath my feet to tremble. I watched as the nine of them jumped back in fear, all sporting panicked expressions.  

I stood up from my relaxed position against Gideon and stepped forward. All the warmth left my back and I found myself yearning to take the dragon's body heat back.