16 - Waking Up

I insist meeting Patrick in downtown San Francisco in a small coffee shop in the Tenderloin District

I insist meeting Patrick in downtown San Francisco in a small coffee shop in the Tenderloin District. It's an area I'm hoping Felix wouldn't be caught dead in due to its dodgy reputation. Luckily Silk is running errands when I sneak out of the house, yet having to take my old car into the city after weeks of riding in the luxury of the limo is no picnic. I add a new car to the top of my wish list of future purchases.

When I arrive at the coffee shop just after ten, I'm actually glad that my clunker isn't sticking out among the sea of rusty wrecks sitting in the parking lot like decaying teeth. A slick side maneuver gets me around a few homeless guys loitering on the sidewalk, and I ignore the angrily shaken coin cup that one manages to hold under my nose. Maybe meeting Patrick here wasn't such a good idea after all.

I enter the café and scan the tables for him. He's seated in a corner by a window, the expression on his face mirroring my anxious feeling. He has his hands wrapped tightly around a steaming coffee cup and avoids gazing at a bum who is trying to talk to him through the window. For a second, I soak in his appearance. The three-day stubble he has grown actually suits him and a healthy tan brings out the dimples when he smiles. I've always had a fable for his Vulcan eyebrows that give his blue eyes this pirate look. Back when we dated, I was content just staring at him while he kept me entertained with funny stories about him and his sister.

"No offense, but how did you find this place?" he asks when I sit down.

"Internet." My cheeks heat slightly from his intense gaze, but I can't tell if it's the embarrassment about luring him into this dump or the flurries of butterflies that awaken from a four-year slumber. "I searched for areas to avoid in San Francisco and this one came up on top of the list."

"So you figured we're safe here from your boyfriend?" He laughs. "Good thinking, even though I'm not sure I'm still as appreciative after getting mugged on my way back to my car—that is if it hasn't been stolen."

When the heat in my cheeks has likely turned them into the color of a ripe tomato, I drop my gaze, pretending to study the menu on the table. The plastic around it makes it even more sticky. If the kitchen is equally filthy, I probably get food poisoning if I order something to eat. Unfortunately, I'm forced to meet Patrick's gaze again as soon as the waitress halts at our table. He chuckles and small crinkles cut around his eyes. I kick him under the table to stop him from making me laugh.

"What can I get you?" she asks. Her blouse is too tight with too many buttons open, making her boobs jump out at me.

"Just some decaf." After barely getting any sleep, I need to at least lead my taste buds to believe I'm having caffeine.

She disappears and I focus my full attention on Patrick, cursing my heart from beating so fast. Being so close to him is incredibly jarring. "So what did you want to talk to me about?"

The smile fades together with the crinkles. "Okay, for starters, I'm only here as your friend. I'm not trying to break you guys up or something. I'm just really concerned and think you need to know this."