Chapter 1

With the radio cranked up, Jake almost missed his daughter's phone call. His terrible singing was also to blame, but 80's power ballads were his guilty pleasure. Hopefully, Sam would forgive him, even if it was her second attempt to call him. Jake reached for the ringing phone on the passenger seat but only succeeded in knocking it to the floor. Swerving into the next lane, he finally snagged the device as a semi-trailer honked at him for his recklessness.

Turning down the music, he said, "Hi, Sam."

"Hey, Dad. Where are you?"

"I'm about to cross the border into Indiana."

"So you're still in Michigan?"

"Yes."

"I thought you were supposed to be home a week ago?"

"Yeah. It took a little longer than I planned to get things squared away," Jake said, hoping Sam would never learn what had delayed him.

Jake had assassinated a man.

Murder is never the answer, but Jake's victim was a deranged biker intent on killing Jake along with his best friend's family— an innocent woman and her three children. Tom had already been killed by the psychopath during a supposed road rage altercation. But after the American justice system had failed them, it was literally kill or be killed, and Jake wasn't going to let Tom's family die too. No way, even if he ended up blackmailed by the biker's gang for his crime. Tom's family was as close to him as his own family. Heck, the kids called him Uncle Jake.

In fact, all of Jake's friends and family were back in Michigan except for Sam. Jake and Sam's mother had divorced years ago, and Chicago was Kate's hometown, so if Jake wanted to be a part of his daughter's life, he was stuck in the Windy City. However, Sam was in her junior year of high school, and she would be off to college next year. He hoped she'd attend the University of Michigan; it was one of the places she'd applied, but ultimately it would be Sam's choice. Jake would not try to manipulate and control her like his ex-wife.

Sam said, "I'm really sorry, Dad. I know Tom was your best friend. Are Mary and the kids doing ok?"

"Yeah. I think so. It'll be tough for a while, but I think they'll be all right."

"That's good. I guess."

An awkward silence followed, which was understandable given the topic. Still, Sam was usually great at filling voids in the conversation. Definitely better than Jake.

He asked, "Is something wrong, Sam?"

"Kind of. I need to ask you a question."

The apprehension in her voice was palpable. Sucking in a breath, Jake said, "Sure."

"But I can't do it over the phone."

"Fine. Do you need me to swing by your mom's when I get to town?"

"No. I'm already at your apartment."

"You are?"

"Yes," Sam laughed nervously.

"How did you get there?"

"Umm . . . Robert drove me."

"Did he?" Jake couldn't be sure Sam's stepfather hadn't dropped her off at his place. Sam was a better liar than Jake too.

"He did. I swear."

"Good. You know my neighborhood is not the best. You could get mugged. Or worse."

"I know. Which is why I didn't walk," she said, sounding annoyed.